Pineapple Cinnamon Stuffed Acorn Squash

I made these over Pesach and I can't find a photo.  I was so sure, I took pictures but they have either disappeared or I am mistaken.  The latter is more likely.

Pineapple Cinnamon Stuffed Acorn Squash  (adapted from allrecipes.com)

Ingredients

  • 1 large acorn squash
  • 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
  • 1/2 cup pineapple chunks (fresh pineapple)
  • 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg  - I did not have the seasoning over the holidays but I think it would be good to add  it.
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger

Method:

  1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F
  2. Cut the squash in half, and remove the seeds and any excess membrane. Place cut side up in a baking dish. Cover the dish and bake for 45 minutes.
  3. Meanwhile, combine the cinnamon, pineapple, nutmeg, allspice, and ginger. When squash has been cooked, remove from oven. Let cool down for 10 minutes.
  4. Carefully scoop out the pulp from both halves and combine with the pineapple and cinnamon mixture. Replace mixture into shells and return to the oven and bake for 7 minutes until pineapple is hot and bubbly. 
Even without the spices, this was an enjoyable dish.  It is low key, not high in flavor but gentle to the taste buds.   I like to make acorn squash with a little maple syrup as the filling and maybe some nuts, chopped in small pieces or raisins, or other dried fruit.  Acorn squash is versatile.  It can be made sweet or savory.  If you are filling it, there are a plethora of ingredients that can be put in the cavity.
 The photo below is from another recipe and I believe, is filled with craisins, pineapple and apricot jelly.

Comments

  1. Sounds interesting... looking for acorn squash recipe ideas lately.

    Gave you an award today... stop by to check it out when you can!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never had acorn squash with pineapple and cinnamon but it sound delicious! Thanks for linking to Workshop Wednesday!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Your comments are a part of making my day bright and shiny. I value your advice, criticism and viewpoints.

Popular posts from this blog

Thai Chicken San Choy Bau

Brussels Sprouts - Power Food - Re-post

Carrot Cake _ Power Food - repost