Lemony Rice

Sometimes, I amaze myself.  I have been cooking for the next Jewish holiday, which starts the eve of The Tuesday after next.  Although, I like fresh food on the holidays, it was necessary to change our normal pre-holiday schedule, since I am going for minor surgery.  I have no idea if I will be up to doing everything necessary.  This comes down to freezing the meals, now.

I just did not have it in me to cook all day.  I had other things to do and I busied myself with errands and phone calls and the wash.   We did not have big plans for today and at the last minute changed from the barbecue, we planned to a simple meal of potatoes and eggs.  I was craving potatoes, not hot dogs and hamburgers.

I decided, I had better do some cooking so out came the lentils, the rice, the quinoa and some chicken breasts.  I ended up making lentil latkes and lentil pancakes, quinoa, and two rice dishes.  The chicken was turned into a Polynesian dish and will go well with one of the rice dishes or the quinoa.  What I was amazed at was how I managed to throw all the dishes together quickly and correctly.  I did a lot of improvising to make it work but we are now ready for at least two meals.  I already have pepper steak and meatballs.  I have a few cakes baked, as well.  A  butternut squash mashed together is also awaiting the holidays.  My youngest said, she would do some cooking and I am ever so thankful for this.  I think we are in good shape and since, I am not able to do much more about it, I am not fighting it.


Lemony Rice

Ingredients:

  • 2 cups chicken broth or water
  • 1 cup brown rice
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
  • 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
  • 1 small red sweet pepper, chopped
  • 1/4 cup sliced scallions
  • 1 cup frozen peas
  • 2 tablespoons snipped fresh parsley
  • 1/2 tablespoon lemon juice

Method:

In a saucepan heat water or broth to boiling. 
Stir in rice, cumin, and pepper. Cover and simmer for 30 minutes. 
Stir in chopped  sweet red pepper and green onion; return to boiling. 
Cover and simmer about 15 minutes more or until rice is tender. 
Stir in peas, parsley, and lemon juice.
Heat thoroughly.


Comments

  1. Good Morning,
    Daughters are awesome... I hope all goes well with your surgery!
    Take care,

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely plate of rice! Please take care!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh this looks wonderful! Thanks so much for linking up to Savory Sunday!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Your comments are a part of making my day bright and shiny. I value your advice, criticism and viewpoints.

Popular posts from this blog

Thai Chicken San Choy Bau

Brussels Sprouts - Power Food - Re-post

Carrot Cake _ Power Food - repost