Chewy Butterscotch Pecan Cookies

My freezer is usually like a frozen bakery.  When I bake, I freeze part of the recipe for future use.  At times, I freeze a whole cake to have on hand for guests or just for us.  Much of what is in there, is gluten-free.

I remember a time, when I would not give guests a gluten-free baked good but now, I think they are as good as what I will call, "the real thing".  My guests get the same as the guy with celiac and they don't know it.  I admit, I ask my hubby not to take a piece right away.  I have noted, once he takes food, no one else does.  So, now he doesn't take and everyone else does.   Then, when he takes his piece, people start asking if it is free of gluten.  Am I evil?

I discovered a wonderful linky Celebrity Cook-Along, which posts once a month, each month with a new celebrity cook.  This month is Paula Deen.  I have cooked and baked Paula's recipes many times so this month is already an interesting one. I am looking forward to each month and the new celebrity chef.  This gets linked on the 15th if I only remember.

Paula Deen has some wonderful recipes, this included, but I can't use butter like she does.  I alter her recipes by subbing oil for butter except for cookies where I use sugar.  I also usually, cut down the amount of fat used and the baked good is still delicious.
  
Chewy Butterscotch Pecan Cookies –  Paula Deen   (adapted)

Ingredients:

3 cups gluten free mixture  (rice, tapioca and potato starch)
1 cup  pecans
2 teaspoons baking soda
2 teaspoons cream of tartar
1⁄2 teaspoon salt
1 cup margarine, softened
1/4 cup oil
3/4 cup sugar
3/4 cup firmly packed dark brown sugar
1⁄4 cup molasses
2 large eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 cup butterscotch chips


Method:
  1. Preheat oven to 350°. Line baking sheets with parchment paper.
  2. In the work bowl of a food processor, add flour, pecans, baking soda, cream of tartar, and salt; process until nuts are finely ground into flour.
  3. In a large bowl, beat butter, shortening, and sugars at medium-high speed with an electric mixer until fluffy, about 3 minutes. 
  4. Add molasses, eggs, and vanilla; beat on low speed just until blended. 
  5. Gradually add flour mixture, beating just until dough forms.
  6. Stir in butterscotch morsels. Roll dough into 1-inch balls. (Do not flatten.) 
  7. Place 2 inches apart on prepared baking sheets. Bake for 10 to 12 minutes, or until lightly browned and slightly flattened.
  8. Let cool on pans for 15 minutes. Remove from pans, and cool completely on wire racks.
Makes 3 dozen (approximately)
  
Linked to 
Celebrity Cook Along - Paula Deen 


Comments

  1. Hello! Your cookies look great, molasses=YUM! I love your little "trick" to get everyone to try GF goodies, although poor hubby has to wait his turn:@) I voted, I'm a hot sauce girl and I'm going to check out the Ina Club you mention a few posts back. Thanks so much for playing along!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yummy! I'm also on the lookout for a good cookies recipe! Thanks for sharing at A Well-Seasoned Life's Sweet Indulgences Sunday! Kim

    ReplyDelete
  3. They look so good!
    Great idea about making your husband wait, LOL! Don't knock it til you try it? :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the flavors in these! I wish more things I bake ended up in the freezer. The problem is they end up in my stomach :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the new blog! And the cookies look yummy!

    Thanks for linking up for Friday Favorites! I'm featuring you this week. Come by and grab my featured button if you'd like one.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Your comments are a part of making my day bright and shiny. I value your advice, criticism and viewpoints.

Popular posts from this blog

Thai Chicken San Choy Bau

Brussels Sprouts - Power Food - Re-post

Carrot Cake _ Power Food - repost