Gluten Free Mix and Apple Cheesecake Tart

There are many gluten-free mixes, ready made and homemade.  Many use different mixtures for different recipes.  In general, I use this basic mix.  Certainly, when I say, in a recipe gluten-free flour mixture, this is what I am referring to.  It is easy to make and I make many cups, at one time, so I will have it, on hand, when necessary.

You know that sinking feeling, in your stomach?  That is how I feel, when I plan to bake and there is no mix ready.  Truth be told, I do keep King Arthur's basic gluten-free mix, on hand, just in case.  Right now, I don't have any but I do have a few containers of my own flour.  If I ever can get myself to the kitchen, I want to make cherry muffins with my precious flour.

*Gluten free baking mix
*3 c. rice flour   (Rice flour comes in white and brown.  We use brown but when I can’t get it, I substitute white so it would appear, they are inter-changeable.)
1 c. potato starch (NOT potato flour)
½ c. tapioca starch
Mix well.

If your would like other combinations,  I will be glad to post some.  I have some of the gluten-free blogs listed.  Check them out for the most wonderful recipes and the most authoritative information.

This is the most delicious combination of apple and cheesecake and tart.  It is from the Joy of Baking.  I do get some of the best recipes from there.  They all work which is a good starting point.  They, so far, have all been delicious.   

Apple Tart from the Joy of Baking

CRUST:

1 cup  gluten free flour mix

1/3 cup  confectioner sugar

1/2 cup (1 stick) cold margarine, cut into small pieces

FILLING:

One 8-ounce cream cheese, at room temperature (I used Tofutti cream cheese)

1/4 cup granulated white sugar

1 egg

1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract

TOPPING:

1/4 cup granulated white sugar

1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon (I used more cinnamon – 1 1/2 teaspoons)

4 cups Granny Smith apples, peeled and cut into 1/4 inch.

1/3 cup  slice almonds.

  Method:

Preheat oven to 450 degrees F and place rack in center of  oven.  Grease or spray ) a 9 inch  springform pan.

CRUST:  In the bowl of your food processor place the flour and sugar.  Pulse to blend together.  Add butter and pulse until dough just begins to come together.  Pat the dough onto the bottom and one inch up the sides of the pan.  Cover with plastic wrap and place in refrigerator while you make the filling.

Untitled - 38a

FILLING:  In a food processor process the cream cheese until smooth.  Add the sugar and mix well.  Blend in the egg and vanilla extract and process until smooth.  Remove the crust from the fridge and pour in the filling.  Return to refrigerator while you prepare the topping.

food proc

mix app with cinn sug

TOPPING:  

Combine the sugar and cinnamon in a large bowl.  Toss the sliced apples in the sugar mixture.  Spoon the apples evenly over the cream cheese layer and sprinkle with almonds.  Place the springform pan on a larger baking sheet to catch the drips.  

Bake at 450 degrees F  for 10 minutes.  Reduce heat to 400 degrees F and bake for 25 to 30 minutes until golden brown (apples are soft when pierced with a fork), and filling is almost set.   Remove from oven and place on wire rack to cool.  Sprinkle with confectioner’s sugar and serve at room

good apple torte

temperature.   

linked to What's Cooking Wednesday?

Sweets for Saturday

Comments

  1. So good! I'm not sure you could have something this yummy that was gluten-free. I'm really on just learning about it. Your site is great help for that :) Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I DO know that sinking feeling, Chaya, because I just ran out of the last of my gluten-free mix and simply must restock soon. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, that sounds and looks so good. Thank you for the gluten free mix recipe. I will have to try that. We don't have a reason to go gluten free, but I do like to insert some GF recipes into our week anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Apple tart looks awesome delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks great! Lots of people are looking for gluten free diet, this will be for them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That looks so good!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This sounds so terrific. Thanks for posting it to What's On the Menu Wednesday:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your Apple Tart looks delicious. Looks like a great oombination of flavor. Thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday and hope to see you next week!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, I love apples and cinnamon together. It's my favorite flavor combo. Thanks for linking this up to A Well-Seasoned Life's Sweet Indulgences Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oooh, love this cheesecake recipe! Now your newest follower! I hope that you can join me on my weekend foodie blog hops "Fresh Clean and Pure Friday" and "Seasonal Saturday"! Looking forward to your delish posts!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm having my linky party again and this week is cheesecake! Hope you'll link this recipe or any other cheesecake recipes!
    http://cupcakeapothecary.blogspot.com/2011/05/themed-bakers-sunday-5.html
    Alyssa

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am trying to get pregnant and I have eliminated gluten- I am going to try this! thanks for linking to Workshop Wednesday!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Your comments are a part of making my day bright and shiny. I value your advice, criticism and viewpoints.

Popular posts from this blog

Thai Chicken San Choy Bau

Brussels Sprouts - Power Food - Re-post

Carrot Cake _ Power Food - repost