Mozzarella Sandwiches

Less than two months ago, I joined Martha Mondays at Martha and Me.  It may be strange but I have done very little Martha cooking.  As a result, I decided that joining this group would expose me to her style and I would see, what I thought about her recipes.  If this dish is an example, wow!!!!!!  If you are a Martha fan or like me, someone who wants to find out if you could be a fan, go on over to Martha and Me and join in the fun.

This is my first time to choose a recipe and I had no idea where to start.  I get Everyday Food and Living so it should have been easy to find something but I was overwhelmed.  I resolved it by going online, typing in Martha Stewart recipes and selecting the first recipe that looked good.  It turned out to be a great choice.

I am an easygoing kind of gal and it did not phase me that I needed Buffalo mozzarella for this recipe.  Oh, what is Buffalo mozzarella?  I did some investigating and found :

 "Mozzarella was first made in Italy near Naples from the rich milk of water buffaloes. Because it was not made from pasteurized milk and because there was little or no refrigeration the cheese had a very short shelf-life and seldom left the southern region of Italy near Naples where it was made. As cheese technology, refrigeration and transportation systems developed the cheese spread to other regions of Italy. However, to this day it is widely known that the best and most highly prized artisanal produced buffalo mozzarella is still found south of Naples near Battipaglia and Caserta where small factories continue centuries-old traditions making buffalo mozzarella fresh daily for their local customers, who line up at the factories to buy this delicacy."

I could tell you that I boarded a plane to get my buffalo mozzarella but you would know that I am not telling the truth.  I did the next best thing and bought, the mozzarella, I always buy.

 This is an easy recipe to make and both hubby and I love it.  I would add tomato slices, next time, I make this.


  • Yield Makes 4 servings

Ingredients

  • 1 pound mozzarella, cut into 4 equal pieces about 3-inches by 4-inches
  • 8 1/2-inch thick firm white sandwich bread
  • 2 large eggs
  • 1/4 cup milk
  • 1/8 teaspoon dried thyme
  • 1/8 teaspoon coarse salt
  • A grating of nutmeg
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • 1 tablespoons margarine

Method:  

Place the mozzarella on 4 slices of the bread. Cover with the remaining slices to form sandwiches. Trim the crusts off to make perfect 4-inch squares.

In a wide shallow bowl, whisk the eggs. Add the milk, thyme leaves, salt, and nutmeg. 
Whisk until well blended.
In a 10 to 12-inch nonstick saute pan, heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil over medium-high heat until smoking. 
Add 1 tablespoon of the margarine and cook until the sizzling subsides.
Dip 2 of the sandwiches into the egg mixture, turning to coat, place in the pan, and cook until golden brown on the first side, about 2 minutes. Flip over and brown on the other side.  Transfer the sandwiches to individual plates.
Repeat the process with the remaining  2 sandwiches. Cut in half, and serve immediately.


Comments

  1. I love mozzarella! It's probably my favorite all-time cheese. Your sandwiches look great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Holy moly, that looks out-of-this-world, crazy delicious. I love any kind of cheese and this Buffalo Mozzarella seems divine.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much; I am a Martha fan and will look this up for sure. As for this Mozza sandwich, all I can say is WOW! I want a bite.
    Rita

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm pleased that you and your husband liked it. We weren't so keen in our house.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, how I wish mine had come out as good as yours. My cheese didn't melt, and I did use the Buffalo mozzarella too. I got it at Costco. The bread on its own was good though. It tasted like French toast. We ate all the sandwiches - no problem there. I may give this another try and use regular mozzarella. Thanks...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yum! Like a savory french toast meets grilled cheese! Delish.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Your comments are a part of making my day bright and shiny. I value your advice, criticism and viewpoints.

Popular posts from this blog

Thai Chicken San Choy Bau

Brussels Sprouts - Power Food - Re-post

Carrot Cake _ Power Food - repost