Apple Maple Rice

Fridays find me, in the kitchen, cooking for the Sabbath (Shabbat or Shabbos).  When, I awake, I am filled with excitement.  Each week, I try for a new menu and have fun creating it.  Many serve the same foods on Shabbos and it is delicious (i.e. Challah, gefilte fish, chicken soup with noodles, roast chicken, potato kugel, another side and salads and of course dessert.)  I love that combination and for eating, it is fine.

On the other hand, for cooking, it gets boring to make, week after week so I try completely different recipes, each week.  One of the dishes to be served tonight is this Apple Maple Rice.  I admit, I couldn't wait and hubby and I both tasted this (generously).  It is going to be a favorite.  I have another recipe similar with apples and carrots but without the maple syrup and in my opinion, I think it is the maple syrup that gives this, its rich taste.


Apple Maple Rice

Ingredients:

1 cup raw brown rice
1 cup water and 1 cup apple juice to cook the rice in

1 tablespoon hazelnut oil (Canola is fine for this)
1 tablespoon margarine
1 large apple, diced
1 celery stalk, chopped
1 medium onion, chopped
1/2 cup chopped pecans
1/8 cup pistachios, chopped
1/4 cup sliced almonds
1/4 cup cranberries
1/4 cup golden raisins
1/8 teaspoon black pepper or to taste
1/8 cup maple syrup

Method:

Put brown rice, water and apple juice in a medium sized saucepan.  Follow directions on the rice package for cooking.

In a medium to large skillet, heat oil and margarine and maple syrup and add, onion, celery, nuts, apples, cranberries and raisins.  Cook for 5 minutes until vegetables are partially cooked.  Stir in black pepper. 

Serve with poultry or fish.
 Linked to
So Sweet Sunday
Foodie Friday
 Sunday at One

Comments

  1. Looks delicious. I love all your add-ins! Very colorful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a splendid dish, Chaya! I love the addition of maple syrup. I have it in my oatmeal this morning and it DOES add something rich and lovely. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh wonderful! Thank you for another recipe, which fits my Gluten Free life.

    Gentle hugs,
    ~♥~

    ReplyDelete
  4. Delicious rice love to try some .

    ReplyDelete
  5. That sounds wonderful. Apple & maple is a combo that is rarely beat. Nice incorporation for a dinner treat! Well done :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. YUMM!! Looks delicious!! Thanks for linking up to Foodie Friday. I hope to see you again next week!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Your comments are a part of making my day bright and shiny. I value your advice, criticism and viewpoints.

Popular posts from this blog

Thai Chicken San Choy Bau

Brussels Sprouts - Power Food - Re-post

Carrot Cake _ Power Food - repost