Kasha Varnikes

Kasha is one of those grains, I just do not use enough.  Kasha or buckwheat is an excellent source of protein and Vitamin B.  It is perfect for those who have gluten intolerance or wheat allergies.  Thisi s also a source of fiber.  Now, you understand why I want to make kasha more often.  This is one dish that I do make and it is a good substitute for the five grains, along with rice and quinoa.  I also want to make quinoa more often.


Another grain for those who eat a gluten-free diet is kasha.  I basically use  it for the recipe, I am sharing today.    I also add it to my husband’s cholent, Sabbath lunch which is similar to a stew.  Most people use barley and we substitute eiher rice or kasha.Kasha buckwheat groats are cooked with onions and chicken stock, then mixed with pasta for a classic Jewish dish. This was traditional comfort food for Russian Jews, brought to America by immigrants. It continues to be a favorite in the Lower East Side district of New York City, as well as across the U.S. This is a great source of fiber, perfect for a side dish.“   About.com 

Kasha Varnishkes  (although I have my own recipe for this, it is so similar to this, I am saving the typing and using the one from Home Cooking. Adapted
Ingredients:
  • 1 cup kasha buckwheat groats
  • 1 egg, well beaten
  • 2 tablespoons canola oil
  • 1  onion,chopped
  • 1/2 pound mushrooms
  • 1 cup vegetable broth
  • 1 cup water
  • Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
  • 1 cup shells  (It is common to use bow-ties for the pasta, in this recipe, but to my knowledge, there are not gluten- free bow-ties.)
In a small bowl, mix the kasha with the beaten egg.  
Be sure all the grains are covered with egg.
Place a medium non-stick frying pan on medium-high heat.
Add the kasha to the pan and  flatten it out a bit, stirring and moving it about the pan until the egg dries and the grains have mostly separated. Set aside.
Place a pot of salted water on to boil for the pasta . (Do not cook them yet.) In a 4-quart heavy stove-top covered casserole, heat the chicken fat or oil and saute the onions until clear.                                                                                                           
Add the vegetable broth and one cup of water and bring to a boil.
Add the salt and pepper and the reserved kasha.
Stir a bit and cover.                                                                                                    Mark Bittman’s Spicy Mushrooms which I added to the Kasha.
 Cook over low heat, stirring now and then, until the kasha is tender, about 10 minutes.
If it is not done to your taste, cook for a few more minutes.
In the meantime, boil the shells or other choice  just until tender. Drain well and stir into the kasha.
Cook the 1/2 pound mushrooms according to Mark Bittman (spicy mushrooms) and add to kasha.
Serve hot.
Yield: 4 servings
This is a hearty dish and a good change of pace. 

  Linked to Recipe Swap Thursdays


Comments

  1. I love this! Made it for the first time a few months ago. Thank-you for the sweet comment you left me! I could say the same for you! I always think of you cooking up a storm. I'm sorry we've seen to lost touch a little. It's hard keeping up with everything sometimes. Hope you are doing well! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Bizzy,this is really interesting.I love the information included and the dish itself is worth a try.
    all the best,
    Marelie

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Your comments are a part of making my day bright and shiny. I value your advice, criticism and viewpoints.

Popular posts from this blog

Thai Chicken San Choy Bau

Brussels Sprouts - Power Food - Re-post

Carrot Cake _ Power Food - repost