Midnight Crackles

Here's a cookie that says Pop Crackle and Snap from our friend, Dorie Greenspan.  This is all chocolaty goodness, chewy, fudgy, delicious.  

 Another easy cookie to make.  Dorie's recipes are always workable which for those of us, in a hurry is an extra bonus.  In case you have not heard of Dorie, don't let another day go without finding out about her and if possible, getting her book.  My books is raggedy from use.  I have made somewhere between one third to one half of the book and it is a rare recipe that I don't like.

Dorie has three groups in cyberspace that I know of.  Tuesdays with Dorie, Baking with Dorie and French Fridays with Dorie.  I belong to all three.  Dorie is like family.  When I have a baking problem, it is Dorie, I go to or at least one of her books.  Get to know Dorie and if you have time, join one of the groups.  It is fun and good eating.

Midnight Crackles   
adapted from Dorie Greenspan,  "Baking from my Home to Yours."


Ingredients:
1 stick, plus 2 TBS unsalted butter (10 TBS total), cut into 10 pieces
1 1/4 cup packed light brown sugar
10 oz bittersweet chocolate, coarsely chopped
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour (I used my own gluten-free mixture for the AP flour)
1/2 cup cocoa powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1/8 tsp ground cloves
2 large eggs

Instructions:
Put the butter, sugar and chocolate (in that order) into a 2-quart saucepan. Set the pan over low heat, and warm the ingredients, stirring occasionally, until melted and smooth. Scrape into the bowl of your stand mixer, or another large bowl if you're using a hand-mixer.

Meanwhile, sift together the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, and cloves.

Working with your stand mixer, paddle attachment, or hand-mixer on low speed, add the eggs to the chocolate mixture one at a time, until they are well blended into the chocolate. With the mixer still on low, add the dry ingredients, mixing just until the dough is smooth and shiny; it will clean the sides of the bowl and form a ball.

Turn the dough out onto a work surface, and divide in half. Wrap each half in plastic and chill for at least an hour, up to 3 days. If the dough is solid when you remove it, let it sit on the counter for 30 minutes before working with it.

Getting ready to bake:
Preheat the oven to 350 and line two baking sheets with silicone or parchment paper.
Working with 1 tablespoon of dough at a time, roll the dough between your palms into smooth shiny balls (if it breaks, just knead it back together), and place on the baking sheet about 1-inch apart. Lightly press each one down a tad with your fingertips.

Bake for 9-11 minutes (the book says 10-13, but I found this to be too long), rotating the sheets from top to bottom, and front to back, at the midway point. The cookies should be lightly crackled and delicately firm on top when done. Allow them to cool for 2 minutes on the baking sheet and then transfer to a cooling rack. Enjoy with a big glass of cold milk!

 
Sweets this Week at Sugar Bananas
Joy of Desserts

Comments

  1. They looks absolute delish, their name makes me curious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Three groups. She is a favorite of so many. Thanks for sharing her recipe at Joy of Desserts, Chaya.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These look great! I'd love for you to link these up to my sweet treats party tomorrow! Hope to see you there :)
    Ashton
    www.somethingswanky.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi this is Nicole from Colie’s Kitchen I just discovered your blog and wanted to drop by and say hi. I am now a new follower. I would love to have you stop by Colie’s Kitchen if you get a chance. www.colieskitchen.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. May I ask what your gluten free mixture consists of. My Hubby's diabetic. I'm still learning about cooking diabeticly.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Your comments are a part of making my day bright and shiny. I value your advice, criticism and viewpoints.

Popular posts from this blog

Thai Chicken San Choy Bau

Brussels Sprouts - Power Food - Re-post

Carrot Cake _ Power Food - repost