Mac and Cheese with Tomatoes - Ina's Garden

I posted this a few weeks ago but I am repeating it so I can use it for my contribution to Ina's Garden Linky.  I am finding, making Ina's recipes, pasta or any other choice, has been fun and I am glad that the ladies opened up this group.  I hope you will join us.  






Let me introduce our hosts:

You can link your Pasta with Pizazz at any of these blogs.  You can also check out our new blog, Ina's Garden.  We plan to set up some items of interest there.  You also can find the information on thenext linky that we are doing.



Ina Garten has been on my mind, ever since, we started Ina's Garden.  Since Pasta with Pizazz is going to be the theme for the third Thursday in May, I have been playing with her pasta recipes and enjoying it.


I made a two cheese mac and cheese topped with sliced tomatoes and panko crumbs.  I used potato chip crumbs instead of the panko crumbs.  I also used oil instead of butter and subbed the cheese, only because I didn't have what was called for.  Regardless of the changes, this was delicious and I would love to make it again, like now.


Mac and Cheese - Ina Garten  (adapted)


Just took it out of oven....
  • Kosher salt, to taste
  • vegetable oil, if desired
  • 8 ounces small shells
  • 1 cup low fat milk
  • 2 tablespoons Canola oil
  • 1/4 cup brown rice flour (all purpose is fine for use)
  • 4 ounces Monterey Jack, grated
  • 3 ounces cheddar cheese, grated
  • 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
  • 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
  • 4 small tomatoes (I ran short and filled in what was missing with grape tomatoes.)
  • 3/4 cup potato chip crumbs
Method:
  1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
  2. Drizzle oil into a large pot of boiling salted water. Add the macaroni and cook according to the directions on the package, 6-8 minutes. Drain well.
  3. Meanwhile, heat the milk in a small saucepan, but don't boil it. Place oil in medium sized pot. (2 quart) pot and add the flour. Cook over low heat for 2 minutes, stirring with a whisk. 
  4.  While whisking, add the hot milk and cook for a minutes or two more, until thickened and smooth. 
  5. Off the heat, add the Monterey Jack, cheddar, salt, pepper, and nutmeg. 
  6. Add the cooked macaroni and stir well. Pour into a baking dish. 
  7. Slice the tomatoes and arrange on top. Sprinkle potato chip crumbs on top and spray with oil.. 
  8. Bake 30-35 minutes, or until the sauce is bubbly and macaroni is browned on the top.







Comments

  1. I make loads of mac and cheese but never thought to add tomato. Great idea! Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Ina recipes....I think I have made about 95% of them from her first books and this latest one I am working on going through, too. I have them all and love them...her recipes work for us but I always need to make half as much as her portions are huge! Your dish looks wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh this looks great! thanks heaps for linking up I'm glad you did because now i found your blog! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks like the perfect Sunday dinner to me. Oh, how I wish my kids liked tomatoes so I could make this for the whole family. Yours looks so yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've been meaning to try one of Ina's mac n' cheese recipes. It makes it look so gooey and comforting. Yours looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  6. YUM...I thought it sounded good a few weeks ago...thanks for the reminder it could be lunch!
    Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You know, I love grilled cheese and tomato sandwiches, so I know that mac & cheese with tomatoes would be awesome...bookmarking!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This mac and cheese sounds delicious! And I've just linked up a pasta dish! Have a nice week!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Your comments are a part of making my day bright and shiny. I value your advice, criticism and viewpoints.

Popular posts from this blog

Thai Chicken San Choy Bau

Brussels Sprouts - Power Food - Re-post

Carrot Cake _ Power Food - repost