Let me introduce our hosts:
You can link your Pasta with Pizazz at any of these blogs. You can also check out our new blog, Ina's Garden. We plan to set up some items of interest there. You also can find the information on thenext linky that we are doing.
Ina Garten has been on my mind, ever since, we started Ina's Garden. Since Pasta with Pizazz is going to be the theme for the third Thursday in May, I have been playing with her pasta recipes and enjoying it.
I made a two cheese mac and cheese topped with sliced tomatoes and panko crumbs. I used potato chip crumbs instead of the panko crumbs. I also used oil instead of butter and subbed the cheese, only because I didn't have what was called for. Regardless of the changes, this was delicious and I would love to make it again, like now.
Mac and Cheese - Ina Garten (adapted)
|Just took it out of oven....|
- Kosher salt, to taste
- vegetable oil, if desired
- 8 ounces small shells
- 1 cup low fat milk
- 2 tablespoons Canola oil
- 1/4 cup brown rice flour (all purpose is fine for use)
- 4 ounces Monterey Jack, grated
- 3 ounces cheddar cheese, grated
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 4 small tomatoes (I ran short and filled in what was missing with grape tomatoes.)
- 3/4 cup potato chip crumbs
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Drizzle oil into a large pot of boiling salted water. Add the macaroni and cook according to the directions on the package, 6-8 minutes. Drain well.
- Meanwhile, heat the milk in a small saucepan, but don't boil it. Place oil in medium sized pot. (2 quart) pot and add the flour. Cook over low heat for 2 minutes, stirring with a whisk.
- While whisking, add the hot milk and cook for a minutes or two more, until thickened and smooth.
- Off the heat, add the Monterey Jack, cheddar, salt, pepper, and nutmeg.
- Add the cooked macaroni and stir well. Pour into a baking dish.
- Slice the tomatoes and arrange on top. Sprinkle potato chip crumbs on top and spray with oil..
- Bake 30-35 minutes, or until the sauce is bubbly and macaroni is browned on the top.