I go on cooking sprees. This afternoon, I pulled out the quinoa and the orange lentils. I have this wonderful book which seems to be sitting around forever. I pick it up, occasionally, get excited about the recipes and put it down without making anything. There is no rationale behind this. I really have wanted to use this book. I bet, I have had it for twenty years. It is called 365 Ways to Cook Vegetarian. If you should own it, take a look and you will find a gold mine. It is part of a series - 365 Ways To....
I think, I didn't follow through with the recipes because I only became a real veggie lover, recently. The first time, I have had a lentil, knowingly (not in a restaurant or someone's home) was within the past two years. The book has some interesting lentil recipes. The recipe, I used, is found on page 66 and is called Lentil Patties with Coconut Relish. If you have read my blog for any length of time, you probably know, I change recipes around and sometimes, there is no way to tell that it came from the original recipe. This time, I used most of the ingredients but I shifted gears completely, adding the relish to the patties and adding flax seed flour and ground nuts in place of the flour.
You can find a recipe that was most likely based on this recipe, here. This one has a mango relish which I can imagine being delicious.
- Time 40 minutes
- Serves 6
- 1 1/4 cups uncooked dried orange lentils
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 2 carrots, shredded
- 1/4 cup flax seed flour
- 1/2 cup ground walnuts
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup shredded coconut
- canola oil (as needed to cook patties)
- Rinse lentils thoroughly in colander under cold running water.
- Bring to a boil over medium-high heat.
- Reduce heat to low. Simmer, covered, 30 to 40 minutes until lentils are tender; drain.
- Combine half of lentils, onion, cumin, salt, pepper and hot pepper sauce in food processor; process until just combined.
- Add carrot, flour, egg and coconut
- Process using pulsing action until well blended; transfer to large bowl.
- Coat bottom of large skillet with oil.
- Heat over medium-high heat until very hot.
- Using large cookie scoop place scoops of lentil mixture in skillet.
- Cook patties over medium heat 4 - 5 minutes on each side until browned on both sides, adding additional oil if needed.