Lentil Patties


365 Ways to Cook Vegetarian
I go on cooking sprees. This afternoon, I pulled out the quinoa and the orange lentils.  I have this wonderful book which seems to be sitting around forever.  I pick it up, occasionally, get excited about the recipes and put it down without making anything.  There is no rationale behind this.  I really have wanted to use this book.  I bet, I have had it for twenty years.  It is called 365 Ways to Cook Vegetarian.  If you should own it, take a look and you will find a gold mine.  It is part of a series - 365 Ways To....


I think, I didn't follow through with the recipes because I only became a real veggie lover, recently.  The first time, I have had a lentil, knowingly (not in a restaurant or someone's home) was within the past two years.  The book has some interesting lentil recipes. The recipe, I used, is found on page 66 and is called Lentil Patties with Coconut Relish.  If you have read my blog for any length of time, you probably know, I change recipes around and sometimes, there is no way to tell that it came from the original recipe.  This time, I used most of the ingredients but I shifted gears completely, adding the relish to the patties and adding flax seed flour and ground nuts in place of the flour.

You can find a recipe that was most likely based on this recipe, here.  This one has a mango relish which I can imagine being delicious. 

Lentil Patties


  • Time 40 minutes
  • Serves 6

Ingredients

  • 1 1/4 cups uncooked dried orange lentils
  • 1 small onion, chopped
  • 1/2 teaspoon cumin
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
  • 1/8 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
  • 2 carrots, shredded
  • 1/4 cup flax seed flour
  • 1/2 cup ground walnuts 
  • 1 egg
  •  1/4 cup shredded coconut
  •  canola oil  (as needed to cook patties)

    Method:


    • Rinse lentils thoroughly in colander under cold running water.
    • Bring to a boil over medium-high heat.
    • Reduce heat to low. Simmer, covered, 30 to 40 minutes until lentils are tender; drain.
    • Combine half of lentils, onion, cumin, salt, pepper and hot pepper sauce in food processor; process until just combined.
    • Add carrot, flour, egg and coconut
    • Process using pulsing action until well blended; transfer to large bowl.
    • Coat bottom of large skillet with oil.
    • Heat over medium-high heat until very hot.
    • Using large cookie scoop place scoops of lentil mixture in skillet.
    • Cook patties over medium heat 4 - 5 minutes on each side until browned on both sides, adding additional oil if needed.
     I did not get any good photos but to get an idea what these looked like, here is one.  They do look like hamburgers.  I browned them a little too long or on too high a heat so be careful, if making these.
     
     
     
     

    Comments

    1. I had to laugh to myself, Chaya. I too do the same thing with cookbooks. I read them, enjoy them, choose recipes, and put them down without ever trying the recipe. Silly us:)

      Your lentil patties sound intriguing and I'm liking the thought of the grated carrots and flax seed flour.

      Thanks for sharing...

      ReplyDelete
    2. D'oh! I just made hamburger patties, but I'll have to add these lentil patties to my list very soon. Great recipe!

      ReplyDelete
    3. We make lentil patties slightly different style this one looks delicious.

      ReplyDelete
    4. Thanks for sharing with hearth and soul hop.

      ReplyDelete

    Post a Comment

    Your comments are a part of making my day bright and shiny. I value your advice, criticism and viewpoints.

    Popular posts from this blog

    Thai Chicken San Choy Bau

    Brussels Sprouts - Power Food - Re-post

    Carrot Cake _ Power Food - repost