Spiced Butternut Muffins

I just discover Muffin Mondays.  Considering, I have many muffin recipes blogged, I decided to bring this over from Chaya's Comfy Cook and share it from here.

Spiced Butternut Muffins

The Three Squash Meal

Locating three different squash, in my refrigerator, drove me to make dinner with three sides of squash.  We had these muffins, spaghetti squash fritters and stuffed acorn squash.  What a delightful way to make a meal.
I am not sure about these muffins.  I found it difficult to figure out how much squash I had.  I bake in cups, not pounds.  I think mine were a little too heavy.  The flavor is there and I think, made a bit lighter, these would be better. The beauty of these is that there is one tablespoon of  margarine in them, nothing more in terms of fats.  That makes it worth a lot but that also might be why, these are heavier than I would have liked.

Spiced Butternut Squash Muffins

Servings: 10
Ingredients:
1/2 pound peeled, seeded and cubed butternut squash
 1 1/2 cups gluten-free brown rice mix
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 cup white sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
3/4 cup milk 1 egg, beaten
1 tablespoon margarine, melted

Method:

1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C). Lightly grease a 12 cup muffin pan.

2. In a medium saucepan with enough water to cover, boil squash 20 minutes, or until tender. Remove from heat, drain, and puree in a food processor.

3. In a large bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, white sugar, salt and pumpkin pie spice.

4. In a medium bowl, thoroughly mix together milk, egg and margarine. Stir in squash. Fold the squash mixture into the flour mixture just until moistened.

5. Spoon the batter into the prepared muffin pan, filling cups about 1/2 full. Bake 20 minutes in the preheated oven, or until a toothpick inserted in the center of a muffin comes out clean. Remove from muffin pan and cool on a wire rack.


linked to Muffin Mondays    Hearth n Soul

Comments

  1. Thanks so much for sharing both of your recipes at Muffin Monday! They both look delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't believe butter nut squash in muffins!This sounds interesting and cools so tasty. Thanks for sharing it with Hearth and Soul Hop :)
    www.sunshineandsmile.com

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Your comments are a part of making my day bright and shiny. I value your advice, criticism and viewpoints.

Popular posts from this blog

Thai Chicken San Choy Bau

Brussels Sprouts - Power Food - Re-post

Carrot Cake _ Power Food - repost