Cheddar Potato Soup

The cool weather is still with us.  Doesn't the Weather Man know that it is April?  I should look right now and see what to expect.  Without a coat, it is cool and the skies are overcast.  I don't want rain.

It is interesting that my classroom is always hot but it is hotter in the winter than in the warmer weather.  On those below freezing days, we had to open the windows not to suffocate from the oppressive heat.  The rest of the day was followed with. "It's freezing" from the kid by the window and "Open the window.  It is hot in here."  So, we continue through the day opening and closing windows.  Some kids are wearing their winter coats, others are down to their polo shirts.  I would blame it on the children but they are right on target.

I teach all boys and I keep waiting for one to slug the other over the battle of temperature.

I have to leave this for a future post but I bet you don't know the real difference between boys and girls.  I do.  


Cheddar Potato Soup

Does the name give its goodness away?  That cheddar cheese gave it life.  Before that, it was a decent potato soup but adding the cheddar transformed it.
The cheesy soup was easy to make but I it took a lot of chopping.  First the onions and celery.  Then, I decided to add some red pepper, forgetting this was going to be blended and the red would not be seen.  I used fingerling potatoes and left them with the skin on and these had to be chopped also.  Other than this, the work was minimal.  Although, I did shred the cheese with a grater, work could have been saved by using a knife and cutting thin pieces.  It would melt just as well in the hot soup.  I would use white cheddar, next time, just to change the color of the soup, to something brighter and lighter.

Cheddar Potato Soup adapted from Taste of Home Annual 2003
Ingredients:
  • 1/3 cup chopped onion
  • 1/3 cup chopped celery
  • 2 tablespoons butter
  • 4 cups diced peeled potatoes
  • 3 cups broth
  • 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
  • 2 cups milk
  • 1/4 teaspoon pepper
  • Dash paprika
Method:
  • In a large saucepan, saute onion and celery in butter until tender. Add potatoes and broth; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10-15 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
  • Puree in small batches in a blender until smooth; return to the pan. Stir in the cheese, milk, pepper and paprika. Cook and stir over low heat until the cheese is melted.
Linked to Pennywise Platter   
Ultimate Recipe Swap

    Comments

    1. Ummmm, that soup sounds fabulous, and would be perfect today. It's cool and rainy here.

      ReplyDelete
    2. Potatoes and cheese! It's gotta be yummy. The weather's cold and dreary here in New Jersey too. But hang in there! The warm weather will be here soon!

      ReplyDelete

    Post a Comment

    Your comments are a part of making my day bright and shiny. I value your advice, criticism and viewpoints.

    Popular posts from this blog

    Thai Chicken San Choy Bau

    Brussels Sprouts - Power Food - Re-post

    Carrot Cake _ Power Food - repost