Japanese Zucchini and Onions

I buy many vegetable for Passover, twenty pound bags of potatoes, ten pound bags of onions, ten pound bags of carrots and then I fill the basket with all kinds of squash.  In my heart, I know that I am not going to use all those squash and sure enough, close to the end of the holidays, I found a dozen zucchini, 3 butternut squash and 2 acorn squash.  I also found a dozen sweet potatoes, a dozen oranges and about ten lemons.  I was not going to let these vegetables defeat me and I started cooking.


One way to use the zucchinis and onions was in the following dish.  You will find, within a few days a potato zucchini recipe on  Bizzy B. Bakes .  Who know what else I will come with?  I am thinking zucchini latkes (pancakes) or zucchini kugel or something with zucchini and carrots.  Come and visit and see how I use most of these vegetables in the next few days.


Japanese Zucchini and Onions   adapted from Allrecipes.com




Cook onions in large skillet.
Add Zucchini sticks to onions.
 Ingredients:


2 tablespoons olive oil
1 medium onion, thinly sliced
2 medium zucchinis, cut into thin strips
1 tablespoon soy sauce
2 tablespoons teriyaki sauce
 Method:
 In large skillet, heat olive oil.
Add sliced onions and cook until translucent - about five minutes.
Add zucchini strips and cook for an additional 4 minutes or until zucchini is slightly softened.
Add teriyaki and soy sauce to vegetables and cook for an additional minute to heat the liquids.
Serve hot.


Out of the Oven

Comments

  1. Mmm! Great side dish. Looks very tasty. Can't wait to see the zucchini latkes :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. That's definitely a lot of leftover vegetables - good luck trying to use them all up! My favourite way to eat zucchini is to toss it in a small amount of olive oil, sprinkle with salt and pepper and then grill it on the BBQ. So ridiculously tasty!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My husband and I love this dish at a local Japanese restaurant, and I make it often during the summer when our zucchini plants are productive. When I cannot use zucchini in a reasonable time frame, I shred them up with my food processor and freeze in 2 cup increments. Then I use them to make zucchini bread and zucchini muffins, which my kids love.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks delicious! Something I would love to serve as a side dish, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey, just thought I'd let you know I shared this recipe on my blog today!! It looks so great, I can't wait to try it! Have a great weekend!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Your comments are a part of making my day bright and shiny. I value your advice, criticism and viewpoints.

Popular posts from this blog

Thai Chicken San Choy Bau

Brussels Sprouts - Power Food - Re-post

Carrot Cake _ Power Food - repost