Do the Maple Mash

I don't know about you but I know that two of my favorite vegetables are sweet potatoes and butternut squash.  Can you imagine the magic of putting the two together?  The dish was soft, smooth and sweet.  It mashed up beautifully.  All I added was some maple syrup and a bit of cinnamon - yum.

The "difficult" part was cutting the vegetables with a knife that is less than good.  It took a lot of strength to get it to cut through but success was, at hand.  It must have looked like a comedy in action, with me going from one cutting tool to another, making little progress.  When, I succeeded with a piece, you heard my cheer, wherever you were.  That slowed me down and hopefully knocked off some calories.

Preparing for this holiday is cutting and cutting and browning and boiling and more chopping.  I think, I once said that I find this therapeutic.  I love using the bench scraper to chop and slice and when I could, I did use it.  Unfortunately, the one I have for Passover is not particularly sturdy and I could not accomplish what I do with my everyday one.  Still, I enjoyed the chopping and time flew by while the mundane details got taken care of.

Maple Sweet Potato and Butternut Squash Mash

1 huge sweet potato - equivalent of 2 or maybe 3 normal sized ones, peeled and cubed
1 butternut squash, peeled and cubed (also seeded)
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 cup maple syrup

Method:

Fill a large pot 3/4 full with water and heat to boiling.
Put vegetables into boiling water.
Reduce heat and cover saucepan.
Simmer until soft but not mushy.  It took about twenty minutes.
Drain in a colander.

Transfer to a bowl and mash until smooth.
Add maple syrup and cinnamon and mix all together.

Place in a serving dish and enjoy.




Ultimate Recipe Swap


Comments

  1. So yummy! I just made some baked potato/butternut squash like this last night and I must agree with you on the strength requited to cut the squash. I had no idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Are you sure that is not dessert? Sure sounds like the perfect combination! would love to taste this.
    Rita

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Bizzy! Thank you for leaving a comment on my blog. I'm happy to find yours too! Looks like you don't have a facebook fan page - I'm going to subscribe your email then! Nice to meet you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love how you combined butternut squash with sweet potato. Great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just love this combination, two of my favorites put together in a great dish. Thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday and hope to see you next week!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Your comments are a part of making my day bright and shiny. I value your advice, criticism and viewpoints.

Popular posts from this blog

Thai Chicken San Choy Bau

Brussels Sprouts - Power Food - Re-post

Carrot Cake _ Power Food - repost