Celiac Enters Our Life - My Very First Post - Blueberry Muffins

Celiac Enters Our Lives

How Our Lives Changed…..

When we discovered, hubby has celiac disease, I did not know that it would also affect me, as much as it did.  We have known about this diagnosis for fifteen years now. At that time, (15 years ago - now almost 18) we had few options, in terms of finding food marked Gluten Free. Nowadays, there is a plethora of gluten free food and if one is willing to change her/his cooking style, then there are many available flours to “play with”.

I was frustrated by the lack of choicess, and I am ashamed to admit, I sat down and shed tears. I loved baking for my husband and selfishly, I saw that being taken away from me and for him. I finally discovered a gluten free mix and I figured out how to make one cake from it. I changed the cake with toppings. I could use crumbs or dried fruit or nuts and presto, the cake looked different.
Since “the man” does not like chocolate (that is putting it mildly), I did not have that as an option. While hubby is not a fussy eater, he does have some dislikes and one of them is that wonderful, delicious substance, chocolate. I love it.

As time passed, more and more became known about “gluten free” foods and now you see many packages advertising their GF status. With  different flours becoming available plus new, readable cookbooks,  I started experimenting and began to make cakes that actually looked like cakes. Bear with me. In a few days, I will hopefully, provide photos.  (I had no idea how to include photos in my posts.)


As you might guess, my feelings about GF baking have changed. Now, I take each recipe as a challenge, one I want to overcome. I have been converting recipes from some of our magnificent baking blogs to GF recipes with a great deal of success. The proof is in the pudding or in this case, in the cakes and cookies, which even I like. There was a time, I refused to taste a GF baked good but now I serve them to company.

A friend of mine had surgery and I was bringing her Tuesday lunches while she recuperated. I would bring to her, gluten-free blueberry muffins which she shared with her husband. She was aware that if he knew they were GF, he would not touch them. So, in blissful ignorance, he ate them and loved them. I brought more. That was when I realized, I had earned a modicum of success.

Yesterday, my hard drive decided to take a long nap and I do not have my recipes. You have no idea how hard it is to find THE GF blueberry muffin recipe, I used, but I did at Dr. Quiltmom.As far as I know, I have not heard of this blog, but since I am using her recipe, I must have been there and I owe her big time. She has some interesting patterns in her quilts. Check the “house” on the first page of her blog. Nice!

I have made some minor changes in her recipe.

Blueberry Muffins

This recipe makes 12 large muffins or 24 small ones. Hubby loves miniatures.

2 cups brown rice flour mix
2/3 cup granulated sugar
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
¾ teaspoon xanthan gum or guar gum
¼ teaspoon salt
¼ – ½ teaspoon nutmeg (to taste)
1 ½ cups frozen blueberries.
½ cup milk (I use soy or almond milk)
½ cup canola oil
2 large eggs
½ teaspoon pure vanilla extract
Cinnamon sugar for garnish or optional streusel topping


Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
Position rack in center of oven.
Spray muffin pan with cooking spray or use liners.
Mix flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, xanthan gum, salt, and nutmeg in large mixing bowl.
Add blueberries; stir to coat evenly.
Combine milk and oil in small bowl; remove 1 tablespoon of combined liquid and discard it. (I
usually forget to remove this amount and it has not affected my muffins.)
Beat in eggs and vanilla.
Add liquids to blueberry mixture and stir until just blended.
Fill muffin pans 2/3 full.
Sprinkle top with cinnamon sugar or streusel topping.
Bake 18 – 25 minutes until lightly golden. Remove muffins from pan and serve immediately or cool on a rack.


Streusel Topping
½ cup brown rice flour mix
1/3 cup brown sugar
½ teaspoon cinnamon
3 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted (I use oil)

Combine flour, brown sugar, cinnamon, and xanthan gum in a small bowl; stir to blend. Pour in butter and stir until all dry ingredients are moistened. Break into small pieces with spoon.

Brown Rice Flour Mix
Mix 2 cups brown rice flour
2/3 cup potato starch
1/3 cup tapioca flour


This gives you three cups which you can use in various recipes. I make about four times this amount and bake up a storm.

 

Comments

  1. Welcome to the world of blogging - - - - I love it and I hope you will too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Chaya...

    Thank you so much for sharing your lovely recipe for gluten free blueberry muffins. I bet they're delicious. I know just a bit about a gluten free diet...my grandmother spent alot of time trying to adhere to it. Of course, as you said...that was back in the day when there wasn't much out there in the way of gluten free foods or even recipes. I'm so sorry to hear that your husband suffers with this ailment. What a blessing, to have you to cook and bake for him! Thanks for sharing your story and sweet recipe with us for the Sunday Favorites party this week! So nice to see you again, my friend!

    Warmest spring wishes,
    Chari @Happy To Design

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Your comments are a part of making my day bright and shiny. I value your advice, criticism and viewpoints.

Popular posts from this blog

Thai Chicken San Choy Bau

Brussels Sprouts - Power Food - Re-post

Carrot Cake _ Power Food - repost