Mock Chopped Liver QED

I am not sure why this is the hit of the season.  There is no reason, we can't eat the real chopped liver but we don't.  Years can go by and I will not have made it and the only reason, we would have eaten it, is that it was served at some place, we were eating.

So, what is this yearning for mock chopped liver which probably does not taste anything close to the real thing?  I wish, I had the answer, so I could explain it to you but I don't know what the answer is.  All, I know, is that we do not make mock chopped liver any time, other than Passover.  If you will keep my secret, I actually hid it, in the back of the refrigerator, hoping there will be more for me.  Never works.

Two food items that we use a lot of, at this time of the year, are potatoes and eggs.  The third would be nuts, all kinds of nuts.  This recipe has no potato but, it does have lots of eggs and walnuts.  Why in the world would these come together to make something so delicious?

One more point:  I have come across recipes for mock chopped liver, using eggplant, mushrooms, green beans or peas.  I was never even tempted.

Mock Chopped Liver  (recipe is doubled)

Ingredients:

1 very large onion or two medium onions
10 tablespoons olive oil
2 cups ground walnuts or chopped walnuts
11 hard-boiled eggs
1/2 teaspoon salt or to taste



Method:

Saute onions in a few tablespoons of the oil until onions are golden.
While onions are cooking, peel eggs.
Remove onions and oil.
Put walnuts, salt, eggs and onions in food processor.
Run until it is relatively smooth.  A few bumps don't harm it.
Put into a container and refrigerate until ready to use or put it on the table and enjoy it.

This makes about three cups.
Linked to

Comments

  1. I am not a big fan of chopped liver and don't make it often but the mock chopped liver sounds delicious. I am planning on trying your recipe tomorrow. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have never see a recipe that call for 11 hard boiled eggs- I guess there is a first time for everything! Thanks for linking to Workshop Wednesday- hope to see you again!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Your comments are a part of making my day bright and shiny. I value your advice, criticism and viewpoints.

Popular posts from this blog

Thai Chicken San Choy Bau

Brussels Sprouts - Power Food - Re-post

Carrot Cake _ Power Food - repost