Crustless Pizza - Nigella

Crustless Pizza by Nigella

I was excited when I came across this recipe.  When, I read what was in it and how it was made, I had doubts about it coming out, like pizza, and I was correct.  It did turn out to be a delicious dish and I would make it again with a few changes.  I would put the vegetables in the batter and possibly add just a bit of oil.  I would start with half a tablespoon.

Considering this comes from Nigella's Kitchen, I knew it had potential.  I love this book.  I enjoy cooking from it but even more, I enjoy reading it, like an instructional novel.  Nigella has wonderful hints to adapt to our own cooking.  She also reveals her own cooking experiences and they make this book a little bit of autobiography.

Crustless Pizza  (adapted)
From Nigella Kitchen by Nigella Lawson.
Serves:  2 to 4 servings

Ingredients:
  • 1 egg
  • 2/3 cup gluten-free brown rice mixture
  • Salt
  • 1 cup  milk
  • Olive oil cooking spray
  • 1 cup grated Cheddar
  • 1 tomato, sliced thin
  • 3 scallions, chopped
  • 1/2 green pepper, chopped
  • Special equipment: 1 round ovenproof pie dish, 8 or 9 inches in diameter
Method:
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
In a small bowl, beat the egg with the flour, salt, to taste, and milk to make a smooth batter.  (Mine was slightly lumpy)
Spray a round ovenproof  dish, then stir half the grated cheese into the batter, before pouring it into the dish.
Bake for 30 minutes. Take the dish out of the oven, sprinkle with the remaining cheese, and tomatoes, bell pepper and scallions. Return the dish to the oven and cook for another 2 or 3 minutes to make sure it’s heated through.

Once the cheese on top is melted  take it out of the oven and serve, cut into slices. A green  salad on the side would not be a bad idea…
Leftover Note:
Leftovers can be reheated the next day in a hot oven for 8 to10 minutes, but sadly they won’t be as nice as the first time around.

Linked to :

Comments

  1. Looks interesting - I've never heard of a crustless pizza like this. I imagine it would be tasty with more veggies, too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had marked this to try, I'm glad to read your take on it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks really good to me. A recipe I will want to try.
    Question: Is gluten free brown rice mixture a flour?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Your comments are a part of making my day bright and shiny. I value your advice, criticism and viewpoints.

Popular posts from this blog

Thai Chicken San Choy Bau

Brussels Sprouts - Power Food - Re-post

Carrot Cake _ Power Food - repost