Applesauce Spice Cake

When I bake with apples, I don't chop, I don't shred, I chunk, good size chunks.  When you take a bite, you feel the crunch of the apple.  Thus, when I see applesauce as part of a cake, it does not send me running to the kitchen.  I saw a picture of the cake and was drawn to it despite the applesauce.  I am glad I did although, I would cut up small pieces of apple, next time, and include them, in the batter.

Applesauce Spice Cake

I found this wonderful recipe on Sweet and Crumby, a blog, I discovered recently and like very much.  The spices rule with the brown sugar.  I love brown sugar.  I think, I could get high, sniffing brown sugar.  I guess, that would be a lot safer than some of the other items, out there.
I adapted this cake to be gluten free and left out what I understand, is a fabulous frosting, and replaced it with one of Sweet Melissa’s glazes which, I must say, was also terrific.  I also replaced the butter with Canola oil.  I have no rum in the house so I added a teaspoon of rum extract.
Stop by Sweet and Crumby to see her beautiful cake.

Applesauce Spice Cake


Image via Wikipedia


Ingredients:
1 cup raisins
1 teaspoon rum extract
2/3 cup granulated sugar
1 cup packed brown sugar
1/3 cup Canola oil
1 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
1 egg
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
3 cups gluten free flour mixture
Raisins.2 teaspoons baking soda
2 teaspoons cinnamon
2 teaspoons nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup chopped pecans

Caramel Icing – You will find the icing recipe at Sweet and Crumby.

Method:
Cake:

Grease a bundt pan.  Make sure to butter the sides and the bottom of the pans and then flour both pans and tap out excess flour over the sink.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Place granulated sugar, brown sugar, butter and applesauce in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment.  Cream together and add egg and vanilla and then mix again.

In a separate bowl sift together flour through salt.  Dump half of the flour mixture into the wet mixture and combine.  Then add the other half of the flour mixture.  Combine again.

Add raisins and chopped pecans to batter and incorporate into the batter.  Pour the batter evenly into the prepared cake pans and bake for 30-35 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.

The glaze, I made for this cake, is a honey caramel glaze.  This set the cake off perfectly and it is a glaze, I plan to use often.  Not heavy in taste but subtle and yet rich.

Honey Caramel Glaze
1/3 cup brown sugar
3 tablespoons heavy cream
3 tablespoons honey
2 tablespoons cold margarine, cut into one half inch pieces
1/4 teaspoon fresh lemon juice

Method:
In a small saucepan, over medium heat, bring the brown sugar, honey, margarine and cream to a boil.  Cook for 30 seconds and remove from heat.  Stir in lemon juice and let cool slightly.  Pour over cake and enjoy.  (the Sweet Melissa Baking Book)
  Linked to:  


Comments

  1. I just love cakes with fruit and spice in them and your cake looks simply lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  2. One of my all time favorites not sure I have ever seen one this scrumptious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much for the shout out and now will use your recipe when I invite friends over who need things to be gluten free. I truly appreciate the few handful of fans...so thanks again. Your cake looks gorgeous! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. THis looks really good - and I love the caramel icing too!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Your comments are a part of making my day bright and shiny. I value your advice, criticism and viewpoints.

Popular posts from this blog

Thai Chicken San Choy Bau

Brussels Sprouts - Power Food - Re-post

Carrot Cake _ Power Food - repost