Gefilte Fish and Homemade Horseradish (Chrein)

Once a year, I make chrein, which is horseradish and beets with a few extras.  Although it looks like the kind you see in those little bottles, in the stores, it is so much better.  We look forward to it from year to year. 

It is a snap to make except for grating the horseradish root which brings tears to the eyes, even if you do it, in a food processor, which I do. It is a major production in our house.  Usually, my husband is the hero and takes care of this task.  I remember a time when he actually grated it by hand.  (Many do.)  Now, he makes use of progress and uses the food processor which is efficient and minimizes the amount of tears that flow.  We all cheer him on from the next room and then he gets big applause, as he staggers out of the kitchen, tears rolling down his face. 

The root is served at the seder pure and it has an effect-a strong one.

Homemade horseradish

Ingredients :



1 large horseradish root (about one pound)
2 medium beets
1 teaspoon sugar
1/4 cup fresh lemon juice

Method:


Peel and grate horseradish and beets.
Add  sugar and lemon juice.  Adjust to taste.
Mix well.  Store in refrigerator.
Serve with gefilte fish.


I don't make gefilte fish from scratch.  I buy the frozen loaves.  These can be boiled or baked an presto they are done.  I like to make patties out of them.  I used to fry the patties but now, I bake them and they are puffy and take shapes of various kinds.  Everyone wants these.


I am not sure how available these are.  Several companies make them: Kineret, Benzy's Royal, Aaron's, (I am blank now....if you want the information, a peek in the store will get it for me.)


Since it is for Pesach, to two loaves, I add about one cup of potato starch.  Matzah meal can be used, as well.  I shred one carrot, fine chop a stalk of celery and one small onion and mix it with the fish and potato starch.  Make patties and bake.  Not difficult.

Ingredients:

2 pound packages of frozen gefilte fish
1 cup potato starch
1 carrot, grated (food process)
1 onion, fine chopped (food process)
1 stalk celery, fine chopped (food process)
I can't remember if I used an egg.  You will be able to tell by the feel of the ""fish mixture.

Method:


Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Place parchment paper on cookie sheet.
Mix all your ingredients well.
With your hands, shape into patties.  (If you are sensitive to the fish, use a scoop and make balls out of the mixture.)
Place on cookie sheet, leaving about one half inch between patties.
Bake for 25 minutes or until it starts to brown.


Serve with that delicious homemade horseradish.


Gefilte Fish Loaf with Horseradish
Gefilte Fish Puffs (Patties)

Comments

  1. I've never heard of chrein before but it sounds supremely delicious!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Your comments are a part of making my day bright and shiny. I value your advice, criticism and viewpoints.

Popular posts from this blog

Thai Chicken San Choy Bau

Brussels Sprouts - Power Food - Re-post

Carrot Cake _ Power Food - repost