Salmon Vegetable Pancake
These looked great and I thought of them as a side to the salmon until a light bulb went on and I decided to add the baked salmon into the pancakes. Bittman leaves you a lot of choice in these recipes and I ended up choosing potatoes, zucchini, carrot, and onion. I also added some frozen corn and frozen peas.
Vegetable Pancakes, adapted from Mark Bittman ( I think Food Matters)
1/2 small onion, grated; or 4 scallions
1/4 cup corn meal
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Olive or vegetable oil or butter for greasing the pan
- Grate the vegetable or vegetables with the grating disk of a food processor.
- Squeeze out the liquid. Save for soups or other dishes.
- Mix together the vegetables, onion, egg, and 1/4 cup of the corn meal.
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Add a little more flour if the mixture holding together.
- Put a oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- When the oil is hot, drop in spoonfuls of the batter, using a fork to spread the vegetables into an even layer, press down a bit. Work in batches to prevent overcrowding. (Transfer finished pancakes to the oven until all are finished.) Cook, turning once, until nicely browned on both sides, about 5 minutes. Serve hot or at room temperature. (I used my cookie scoop to get the same size pancakes.)
|Lots of Peeling.|
|Cut up vegetables.|
|Remove water from veggies.|
|Fry and Drain Well.|
Ultimate Recipe Swap