Tossed Chicken Salad

For the Sabbath lunch, on Saturday, we had company, I had not met before.  As a result, I had little idea what to serve that they liked.  We have chulent, every week, so that stayed and salads and fish were part of the meal, as usual.  I decided to make a leafy chicken salad as another option, figuring it would be good for the hot weather and salads are usually accepted.

I checked out a few recipes but none fit the bill so I wrote down ideas from each of them, combined these and came up with my own recipes.  I am not giving sources because I am not sure that using tomatoes or chicken in this salad is something to source.

Tossed Chicken Salad

Ingredients:

2 small chicken cutlets, cut into strips
spray Olive oil
1 package Romaine mix
1/2 medium red onion, thinly sliced
1/2 cup green pepper, chopped
1 full size tomato, cut into small pieces
1/2 cucumber, chopped  (I removed the seeds)
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1/2 cup walnut pieces
 Honey_Mustard Dressing
1 teaspoon of sugar

Method:

Spray a large skillet with olive oil.
Place cut up chicken in skillet and cook until both sides are browned lightly.  Chicken should be cooked through.  All in all, it takes no more then ten minutes and probably can be done in less time.
Drain chicken and put aside.



Toast walnuts in same pan.  You do not need to wash it.  The oil has been soaked up and the skillet is almost dry.
In a large bowl, place Romaine mixture.  Add the remaining vegetables.
Top with chicken pieces and walnuts and mix gently.

Before serving, add sugar to bottle Honey-Mustard dressing and pour on top of salad and again mix gently.  I am not sure how much I used.  I start with rough tablespoons and keep adding until vegetables are lightly coated.    I probably used 1/2 of cup of dressing.

By all means, make your own dressing. I happen to have this bottle in the refrigerator for marinades and it had been around for a while, so I used it.  It was delicious.



Pennywise Platter  '







Comments

  1. Now that my kind of salad. Perfect for dinner or lunch.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your salad sounds lovely, Chaya. I always enjoy chicken salads and I love your addition of the walnuts. Thank you for sharing it with my Weekend Roundup :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Your comments are a part of making my day bright and shiny. I value your advice, criticism and viewpoints.

Popular posts from this blog

Thai Chicken San Choy Bau

Brussels Sprouts - Power Food - Re-post

Carrot Cake _ Power Food - repost