Applesauce Snack Cake (from America's Test Kitchen) (adapted)
- 3/4 cup dried apple
- 1 cup apple juice
- 1 1/2 cup gluten-free brown rice mixture
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 egg
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 8 tablespoons Canola oil
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
2. Place dried apples and cider in a microwave safe bowl (I used a measuring cup). Cook until liquid evaporates and mixture appears dry, about 6 minutes. Cool to room temperature.
3. Whisk flour and baking soda in medium bowl to combine; set aside. In second medium bowl, whisk sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, and cloves. Measure 2 tablespoons sugar-spice mixture into small bowl and set aside for topping.
4. In food processor, process cooled dried-apple mixture and applesauce until smooth, 45 - 60 seconds, scraping sides of bowl as needed; set aside.
6. Turn batter into prepared pan, smoothing top with rubber spatula. Sprinkle reserved 2 tablespoons sugar-spice mixture evenly over batter. Bake until thin knife inserted in center of cake comes out clean, 35 to 40 minutes. (Mine took almost 55 minutes so keep checking it.)