Cheesy Spirals and Carrots

Nothing like pasta with vegetables.  Is there any veggie that you can not team up with pasta?  I can't think of one.  No longer, do I crave for pasta with a meat sauce although, when I do make it, I enjoy it but cravings for it, just don't exist.  Now, when I make pasta, I ask myself what should I add to this dish?  Do I want cheese or some olive oil?  Do I want to add broccoli or corn?  What should the secret of this recipe be?  The one below has yummy carrots and the crunch and sweetness of the carrot are a perfect foil for the spirals.

Cheesy Spirals and Carrots
                                                                                                                                                 serves 4
8 ounces spirals or other medium pasta shape, uncooked
1 cup broccoli florets
1 cup carrots, thinly sliced diagonally
Vegetable oil cooking spray
2 tablespoons oil
2 tablespoons dehydrated onion, minced
2 tablespoons brown rice flour
2 cups skim milk
1 1/2 cups shredded Havarti cheese
Salt and black pepper to taste
 
Method:

Prepare pasta according to package directions.
Five minutes before pasta is done, add carrots to pasta.
Cook 3 minutes; add broccoli to pasta.
Cook remaining 2 minutes.
When pasta and vegetables are done, drain well. Lightly spray a 2-quart casserole dish with cooking spray; set aside.
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
In a medium saucepan, melt margarine over low heat.
Add onion and saute about 2 minutes.
Stir in flour and continue cooking and stirring until mixture thickens.
Add milk and cheese and cook until cheese is melted. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Mix pasta and vegetables with sauce.
Transfer to casserole dish.
Bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until heated through.

Comments

  1. Very yummy looking pasta. It's a great veggie base. Mushrooms are my absolute favorite :) Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like Harvati cheese, but have only ever had it on sandwiches. I'll be giving this a try soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh yum!! This looks great! Thanks for linking this up to savory sunday!!


    don't forget to add the link :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. pasta is often my go to meal and love it this recipe is going to get a try very soon thanks for sharing come see what I shared at http://shopannies.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. This pasta dish looks delicious, and it has such healthy ingredients too, that is wonderful. Thank you for sharing it with the Hearth and Soul blog hop, and Feed Me Tweet Me Follow Me Home.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Your comments are a part of making my day bright and shiny. I value your advice, criticism and viewpoints.

Popular posts from this blog

Thai Chicken San Choy Bau

Brussels Sprouts - Power Food - Re-post

Carrot Cake _ Power Food - repost