Golden Applesauce Pound Cake

With vacation comes an opportunity to bake, especially for my hubby, who enjoys baked goods.  Today, I decided to bake something from Marcy Goldman.  I am not sure this is going to work but my plans for the summer are to bake from King Arthur's Flour, Flour by Chang and Passion for Baking by Goldman and of course Dorie.

That was a hard decision to make. I am blessed with a number of baking books and I want to take each one and bake through it.  Not being practical, I knew I had to hold back and start reasonably.  I always rave about King Arthur's Flour recipes but I have never taken the book and really sat with it.  It is filled with explanations and how to's.  It is a serious baking book.  The recipes are workable and I usually have the ingredients.  Those are big pluses.

Flour (the bakery) is a brand new book and I only read a few pages and checked out a few recipes.  I love the author's gentle style of sharing and the recipes look wonderful.

Goldman's book is not new and I have made a half dozen recipes from it and we liked them all.  That is a good start.

Those are the plans.  Let's see what happens.

Golden Apple Sauce Pound Cake   adapted from Marcy Goldman - Passion for Baking

I made this gluten-free and I halved the recipe.  Below is Marcy's full recipe.

Ingredients:

  • 2 cups golden or yellow raisins, plumped and chopped
  • 1 cup oil room temperature  (minus one teaspoon)
  • 1 3/4 cups sugar
  • 5 eggs
  • 1 2/3 cup apple sauce
  • 1 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
  • 1 teaspoon lemon juice
  • 3 cups all-purpose flour  (gluten-free mix)
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • pinch mace
  • 1/2 teaspoon fresh nutmeg
  • 1/4 teaspoon allspice
  • 1/4 teaspoon ginger 
  • 1/2 cup walnuts

Method:

Preheat oven to 350 F. Generously grease a nine inch tube or 12 cup Bundt pan.(I made a loaf size with half the recipe.)


Plump raisins and coarsely chop. Set aside.(To plump raisins, pour boiling water over them until the raisins are covered and let stand for 5 - 10 minutes.)


In a mixing bowl, place oil and the sugar, blending well. Add the beaten eggs a bit at a time, scraping bowl occasionally until they are all incorporated. Stir in vanilla and lemon juice. 

In another bowl, stir together dry ingredients. Add to batter, alternating with apple sauce, blending on slow speed of mixer. 

Fold in chopped raisins and walnuts.

Pour batter into prepared pan. Bake until cake tests done, about 60-65 minutes. Let cake cool well in pan before inverting. Sprinkle with sifted icing sugar before serving.  (Bake 45 minutes for loaf - start checking at 35 minutes.)



Bookmarked Tuesdays
Melt in your Mouth Monday on Make Ahead Meals for Busy Moms

This Weeks Cravings on Mom's Crazy Cooking,













Comments

  1. This looks so moist and good. My kind of cake! I have heard of Marcy Goldman's book and rave reviews about it but could not get a hold of this book to peek!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great choice of baking books. I can't wait to see what you make from them. If this cake is any indication, it's going to be one delicious summer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful blog! It looks so yummy.Thnaks for sharing.
    Hope to see you on my blog:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am going to make this for my Fathers 80th birthday he is a sweet bread lover
    KAT

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Your comments are a part of making my day bright and shiny. I value your advice, criticism and viewpoints.

Popular posts from this blog

Thai Chicken San Choy Bau

Brussels Sprouts - Power Food - Re-post

Carrot Cake _ Power Food - repost