Scallions, Tomatoes and Ricotta Pudding

Do you ever get an urge for a particular food?  All week, I have wanted scallions, not just a few in a simple dish.  No, I wanted scallions, lots of them but what does one do with all those scallions?

I had a vision of eggs with these scallions so I knew that was going to be an ingredient.  Cheese, of course, has to be there.   I needed another taste and also another color and I thought either tomato or bell peppers.  Tomatoes won.

This is a recipe made as I went along.  I had called it a kugel in my  Monday menu.  It doesn't feel like a kugel even though kugel is pudding.  Pudding won.  I think, the most difficult part of this recipe was naming it and I certainly don't have anything creative.

To the ingredients:

1 cup chopped scallions
3/4 cup tomatoes, chopped
1 cup Ricotta cheese (I thought about using Farmer cheese since I have some in the refrigerator.)
2 eggs
1/2 cup milk
salt and pepper to taste
Spray oil

Method:

Spray a large skillet or use 1 tablespoon olive oil.  If you keep mixing it,  you can get away with the spray.  My goal is to cut down on fat.

Put scallions in pan and cook for 3-5 minutes, stirring occasionally.  Add tomatoes and cook for another minute until they are heated.

While the scallions are cooking, in a medium bowl, mix cheese, milk, eggs and seasoning.

Add scallions and tomatoes to cheese mixture and mix together.

Spray a one quart baking dish.  Pour scallion/cheese mixture into dish.

Bake at 350 degrees for 25 - 40 minutes.  I increase heat to 400 for the last 5 minutes to make sure it browned on top.

I think this would be even better with more vegetables.  (zucchini, bell peppers, potatoes, onions, broccoli).
Linked to Foodie Friday


Comments

  1. I'll have to give this a try. My experience with savory quiche-like dishes isn't the best, but I'm always willing to try it again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum! These look delicious and satisfying. I love scallions and must try these soon! thanks for sharing.

    I'm hosting a cookbook giveaway on my blog (On A Stick). Please stop by to enter if you're interested.

    Amy
    http://utry.it

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds so deliciously savory, Chaya. :-) I don't have ricotta on hand, but I do have quark. I think that would work well too. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Brilliant! I never would have thought of preparing scallions this way.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yum! This looks great! Thanks for linking up to Savory Sunday!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Your comments are a part of making my day bright and shiny. I value your advice, criticism and viewpoints.

Popular posts from this blog

Thai Chicken San Choy Bau

Brussels Sprouts - Power Food - Re-post

Carrot Cake _ Power Food - repost