Blintzes - We Love You

I rarely make blintzes.  It is not because, we don't like them nor is it because they are difficult to make.  They are relatively easy.  It is because, the way I make them, takes bowl after bowl and pan after pan and plate after plate and when I am finished, it looks like a bomb struck my kitchen.  I should have photographed it, two hours ago.  I cringe, as I think of the "look".

The recipe sounds straight forward.  It is only when I am balancing a bowl and a hot skillet and frying one crepe and making the next while filling a third and rolling a fourth, that I want to scream.

Whatever, challenges I face, let me assure you, these blintzes are worth it.  I saved two for lunch, tomorrow and I just can't wait.

Blintzes are filled crepes.  I made these with a cheese filling.  I could have used apples or berries or a combination of the cheese and fruit.


 Blintzes  (adapted from Chabad)
Ingredients:

Crepe:
4 eggs
1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup water
1 cup    gluten-free brown rice flour mixture
1/4 cup sugar
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
Pinch of salt
1 tablespoon of Canola oil

Filling:

1/2 pound farmer cheese (Ricotta or Cottage Cheeses can be used in place of Farmer Cheese.  I think either Ricotta or Farmer are the best.)
4 ounces cream cheese
4 tablespoons maple syrup  or 4 tablespoons sugar
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1 egg yolk

1/4 cup raisins (optional)
 
Method:

Crepe: In a large mixer bowl combine eggs, milk, water and blend well. Gradually add flour, then both sugars, salt and oil. Beat well until there are no lumps in the batter. 

Filling:  Combine all ingredients in a bowl and beat well. Or combine all the ingredients in a blender container and blend until smooth.   (I did not find this difficult to blend by hand.)

Prepare batter and filling of your choice. 
With spray cooking oil, grease a 7 inch skillet. Place skillet over medium heat until skillet is hot but not smoking.

Ladle approximately 1/3 cup of batter into the skillet. Tilt pan to swirl the batter so it covers the bottom of the skillet.

Fry on one side until small air bubbles form, and top is set. Bottom should be golden brown. When done, carefully loosen edges of crepe and slip out of skillet onto a plate.

Repeat the above procedure until all the batter is used. Grease the skillet as needed.

Turn each crepe so that cooked side is up. Place 3 tablespoons of filling on one edge in a 2 1/2 inch long by 1-inch wide mound.

Roll once to cover filling. Fold the sides into the center and continue rolling until completely closed..

Heat 2 tablespoons of oil in the skillet and place each crepe seam side down in the skillet and fry 2 minutes on each side, turning once.

Sit back and enjoy.



Lark's Country Heart

Comments

  1. Hi!
    I must tell you these look fantastic, I don't recall having ever tried one anywhere... strange huh! I know.. I don't get me either heehee.. I will give it a go... MY kitchen needs a little excitement!
    Take care,

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm always willing to dirty every pan in my apartment (seriously...you can ask my roommates). These look delicious and so worth the effort!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yummy! I don't think I've ever tried blintzes, but they remind me of the delicious crepes my sister used to make. What other kinds of things can you use as fillings?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Without adornment, there are several fillings you can use with blintzes or crepes. You can use fruit such as apples, cherries, blueberries; vegetables such as mushrooms, broccoli, potato or spinach; meat, chicken or a combination. My daughter suggested, yesterday a combo of mushroom and chicken in a sauce.

    You can serve this with sour cream, sugar or maple syrup. A cheese blintze would be great with a cherry sauce or blueberry sauce.

    Use you imagination and you can have fun with this.

    Joanne and Fishy, I recommend these. They are pure deliciousness.

    Chaya

    ReplyDelete
  5. ok YUMMY!!! these are cool..have never made these but that is going to change. thanks

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh I love me some Crepes! :)
    So glad you linked up to share this recipe to Made it on Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  7. crepes are awesome and this recipe sounds awesome as well come see me at http://shopannies.blogspot.com and see what I shared

    ReplyDelete
  8. These look and sound wonderful, Chaya! We had blintzes for the first time when we were in California a couple weeks ago, and they were lovely, but yours look even nicer - homemade is always best! Thank you for sharing the recipe, now I can try to make them myself!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Your comments are a part of making my day bright and shiny. I value your advice, criticism and viewpoints.

Popular posts from this blog

Thai Chicken San Choy Bau

Brussels Sprouts - Power Food - Re-post

Carrot Cake _ Power Food - repost