The Layered Look


In the past few years, I have developed a taste for eggplant and I have made it in several different ways.  So far, I have always enjoyed it and I am much braver about using it.  My favorite way is still crisped up rather than mushy but I also like it in vegetable stew dishes.  I have come a long way since I started blogging and eat a lot more types of food.  Variety is certainly more fun to both cook and eat.



Martha Stewart was my inspiration for this recipe and you can find her original dish
here. I made a number of changes to accommodate the taste of the family. We don't enjoy mint in vegetable dishes. I love mint chocolate chip ice cream and that is where mint, should stay, in my opinion. Brownies with a mint filling are delicious. Mint chocolates are great. Gum with mint flavoring is the best. Mint has its place, yes indeed. I tried one time to include mint in a meat dish and that was the last time, I used it in anything than desserts. Do I need a more sophisticated palate or did I give up too quickly?


After many years in education, I have learned that elementary school kids, at least boys, do not like mint in their cookies or cakes. I also discovered that peanut butter is liked by only fifty percent of the guys. Marshmallow does better, coconut much worse. It is interesting to realize that their palates may not be fully developed.


Topped Baked Eggplant

Ingredients:

1 tablespoons  olive oil
1 medium eggplant, peeled and sliced in about 3/4 inch rounds.
salt and  pepper to taste
2 ounces feta cheese, crumbled (1/2 cup)
1/3 cup red onion, diced small
2 medium tomatoes, sliced
1 teaspoon red-wine vinegar

Method:


Preheat oven to 425 degrees. 

Place parchment paper on baking sheet. I used a cookie sheet. A pizza pan would have worked, as well.

Arrange eggplant rounds in a single layer and season with salt and pepper. 

Bake until undersides are browned  and eggplant is tender, about 11 minutes.

Meanwhile, in a small bowl, mix together 1 tablespoon oil, feta cheese, onion, green pepper, tomatoes, and vinegar. 

Season to taste with salt, pepper, and more vinegar, if desired. 

Transfer eggplant to a serving platter. Top each round with a slice of tomato and then top with the cheese, onion and green pepper.

This recipe leaves itself to interpretation.  You could use mozzarella on top and bake it until the cheese melts.  You could cook the onions and green pepper first and then place them on top.  You could certainly add garlic to the mix.

Simply, eat and enjoy.

Linked to Full Plate Thursday        Foodie Friday

Comments

  1. Your eggplant dish looks beautiful. I'm on a low carb diet and this would be a perfect recipe .

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really enjoy eggplant in a multitude of ways.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm slowly trying to like eggplant more.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Chaya,
    I love your layered eggplant dish, we will really enjoy this recipe. Hope you have a great week and thanks so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday.
    Come Back Soon!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Your comments are a part of making my day bright and shiny. I value your advice, criticism and viewpoints.

Popular posts from this blog

Thai Chicken San Choy Bau

Brussels Sprouts - Power Food - Re-post

Carrot Cake _ Power Food - repost