Baked Chicken, Lemon and Pea Risotto




Written in the past and copied here from My Sweet and Savory.

I love Tuesday nights when I cook with our Donna Hay group. Now, that I have cooked a number of her recipes, I feel confident, in them. Each one is good and easy to make, just right for me. The other members of the group reiterate this thought.

This week Gaye selected the baked chicken dish with a delicious risotto. I have never made risotto in the oven and was leery of the results, especially when I took the baking pan out to see what appeared to be almost all liquid. I mixed it and put it back in the oven for another ten minutes. It seemed somewhat watery but this time, when I mixed it together, it thickened up. Two more minutes with the chicken and peas and it was creamy and delicious.

What a wonderful combination this is. My husband thought the lemon was too strong but I think, if you like lemon, it will be just right. You can cut it down, if in doubt about the taste. I thought it was fine.

Of course, when I went to make it, I discovered I had no aborio rice and no fennel. I did get the rice but the store didn't have fennel. I stuck a red onion in since I love onions.

This is another winner which I would happily make again. Great choice, Gaye.



Baked Chicken, Lemon and Pea Risotto 



Ingredients:


2 tablespoons olive oil

3 chicken breast fillets, quartered

2 leeks, sliced 

1 tablespoon shredded lemon zest

2 cups Arborio  rice
5 cups organic vegetable broth
1 ½ cups frozen peas
2 tablespoons lemon juice
cracked black pepper and sea salt

Method:

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.

Heat a frying pan over high heat. Add the oil and chicken and cook for 3 minutes on each side or until well browned. Set aside for later.



Add the leeks and zest to the pan and cook for 5 minutes or until the leeks are golden. 

Place the leek mixture, rice and stock in a casserole dish. Cover tightly with a lid or aluminum foil and bake for 20 minutes. 

Remove from the oven and add the chicken and peas to the risotto, cover tightly and bake for a further 20 minutes. The risotto will still have a bit of liquid in it.

Stir the lemon juice, pepper and salt through the risotto. Stir for 2 minutes to thicken the risotto and serve.

Eat and enjoy.

Linked to:  Real Food Recipe RoundUp       What’d you Do this Weekend?        Mix it Up Monday         Melt in Your Mouth Monday  Linked to: Tuesdays Table           Gluten Free & DIY Tuesdays       Southern Special         Fat Tuesday      The Yuck Stops Here          Totally Talented Tuesday    Simple Supper Tuesday     Treasure Box Tuesday     Hearth and Soul Hop            In and Out of the Kitchen             Two Cup Tuesday       Full Plate Thursday   Gluten-Free Fridays

Comments

  1. Delicious looking dish!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember this one. It was good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds delicious! I planned on making risotto tonight but found I was out of short/medium grain rice. Maybe next week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Utterly delicious - I love Donna Hay's food, and I know I would particularly enjoy this dish. I would certainly love all the lemon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I enjoy risotto...making it as well as eating it! I like that this would be a main dish rather than a side (which is what I normally use risotto for).

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks so much for sharing your awesome recipe with Full Plate Thursday and hope to see you soon!
    Pinning your post!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Your comments are a part of making my day bright and shiny. I value your advice, criticism and viewpoints.

Popular posts from this blog

Thai Chicken San Choy Bau

Brussels Sprouts - Power Food - Re-post

Carrot Cake _ Power Food - repost