Chocolate Ganache Cake - Ina Fridays


It is good that Alyce reminds us when Ina Fridays are upon us.  I love monthly challenges but at times, forget they are coming soon.  This is dessert month and since I am having chocolate lovers for guests, I decided I could indulge on this chocolate ganache cake.  When I selected it, I did not know it was the easiest recipe around.  Using chocolate syrup in a recipe make it a snap to put together.

I did have a major problem with this recipe and it probably is because I used oil instead of butter.  It took forever to finish baking.  I must have put it back in the oven a half a dozen times.   The knife kept coming out wet.  After the original 45 minutes called for, most of the cake was a puddle of chocolate.  I bet that would have been delicious but I was after a cake so I patiently kept putting it back.

It happens that I was baking oatmeal cookies, at the same time, and I had to be in the kitchen anyway.  Otherwise, I doubt that I would have been patient.

It is one of those days with tiny mishaps like almost running out of both sugar and flour.  Fortunately, I scraped out enough for both recipes.  Actually, the cookies called for brown sugar which was a major help.

Back to the store with me.


Chocolate Ganache Cake (adapted from Ina Garten)

Ingredients:

1/4 lb butter, at room temperature (I used oil.)
1 cup sugar
4 eggs, at room temperature
1 (16 ounce) can  chocolate syrup
1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
1 cup gluten-free flour

For the ganache:

1/2 cup heavy cream
8 ounces semi-sweet chocolate chips
1 teaspoon instant coffee granules

Method:

Preheat the oven to 325 degrees.

Butter and flour an 8 inch square pan, then the bottom with parchment paper.

Mix the oil and sugar.

Add the eggs one at a time.

Mix in the chocolate syrup and vanilla extract.

Add the flour and mix until JUST combined (overbeating with make the cake too tough).

Pour the batter into the pan and bake for 40-45 minutes, or until just set in the middle. (it took several minutes longer.)

Let cool thoroughly in the pan.

For the ganache, cook the heavy cream, chocolate chips, and coffee in the top of a double boiler over simmering water until smooth and warm, stirring occasionally.

Place the cake upside down on a wire rack and pour the glaze evenly over the top, making sure to cover the entire cake and sides.

You can tilt the rack to smooth the glaze.

Do not refrigerate


The ganache is the best I have ever had.  Eat and enjoy.

Check out our other posts and see what dishes have been made,
Powered by Linky Tools
Click here to enter your link and view this Linky Tools list...

Comments

  1. It still looks good and it's chocolate! I barely squeaked by with brown sugar for my coffee cake. We must have July 4th on our minds!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very interesting! The first time I made brownies from scratch, the chocolate part came from chocolate syrup and they were not very good. Glad to know it works out better with cake!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love chocolate cake, but seldom make it. I would eat it all. I occasionally make it for a friend's birthday and then am happy to have a piece! This one looks scrumptious, Chaya. I'm wondering if you could have used organic shortening in place of the butter? It's not cheap, but it works wonderfully for some things; I've used it for vegan baking, for instance. Happy 4th weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That looks so good I want to lick the screen! Thanks again for linking up to The Yuck Stops Here recipe link party! HUGS

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'd love a big old piece of that right now!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Your comments are a part of making my day bright and shiny. I value your advice, criticism and viewpoints.

Popular posts from this blog

Thai Chicken San Choy Bau

Brussels Sprouts - Power Food - Re-post

Carrot Cake _ Power Food - repost