Little Green Omelettes





Today was a fast day and when I planned my weekly menu, I did not take this into account.  I shifted gears and made Wednesday's meal which is a macaroni and cheese with spinach, nice and creamy, real comfort food.

We have a number of fast days in Judaism, some are long and some are shorter.  This is a short one and we could eat until sun-up and it lasts until after 9 in the evening.   We usually want something light to eat after a day of not eating so it is usually a dairy meal or simply a bagel with cream cheese.  The mac and cheese fits right into our needs.


My husband says that I am a strange faster which means, I fast well.  I may get a headache or feel tired but I do not feel hungry or yearn for food.  He, the other hand, wakes up picturing all kinds of plates  filled with anything and everything edible.

I am thankful with my fasting status and it is really easy.  I find it a little hard to cook at the end of the day and that is when I visited Kahakai Kitchen where Deb made these little green omelettes.  It was love at first sight and I knew, at that moment, I was making them, even though they did not go along with mac and cheese.

Of course, you may know me well enough, I usually don't leave well enough alone and when I found that ll the cilantro, we grew was gone, I had to improvise and I did my adding 2 cups of spinach, a tablespoon of soy sauce and a tiny bit of maple syrup.  Please go over to Deb's for the correct recipe.  She has tons of great ideas on her blog along with these who were inspired by Nigel Slater. 


Little Green Omelettes

Ingredients:
1 cup ricotta cheese
4 eggs
2 -  3 cups baby spinach, rough chopped
1 tablespoon soy sauce
1/2 teaspoon maple syrup
3 green onions  (I hate to admit this but I forgot these and they were what attracted me to the recipe, in the first place and I am sure, make everything taste better.  I plan to make these the right way in the near future.
1 tablespoon olive oil.......I added more as needed
salt and pepper to taste

Method:

Mash the ricotta with a fork. 

Lightly beat the eggs and stir into the ricotta. 

Oops......Finely chop the green onions. 

Fold them and the spinach into the ricotta and egg mixture with salt and a little black pepper.

Heat oil in a frying pan.

When it starts to sizzle gently, pour a spoonful of the mixture in and let it settle into a small pancake, about 2 1/2 inches in diameter. 

Add as many others as you can comfortably fit in the pan. 

Let them cook for a couple of minutes till lightly colored on the underside, then flip gently over and cook the other side for a minute. 

I have a small electric fry pan - about 10 inches square which I used.  Easily 4 pancakes fit, nicely spaced and I made a smaller one for the middle.  I found that if I poked at the pancakes right away to compact them into a thicker, smaller size, they cooked better and were easier to turn over.  I liked them better than the thinner ones.  I wonder if a tablespoons of flour would make a difference.

Eat and enjoy.


This is linked to: Waste Not Want Not Wednesdays        Gluten-Free Wednesday     Fresh Foods Wednesdays       What's Cooking Wednesday     Wonderfully Creative Wednesdays    Foodie Friday   Full Plate Thursday   Freedom Fridays     Real Food Friday    Fight Back Friday      Foodie Friday   Foodtastic Fridays           Gluten Free Fridays     Weekend Social

Comments

  1. Thanks so much for sharing your very flavorful Little Green Omelettes with Full Plate Thursday. Hope you are having a good week and come back soon!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Chaya,
    Just got back from a business trip and had to stop by and see your version of the omelettes. ;-) I like your changes--particularly the addition of the spinach--yum! Thanks for sharing and for the shout out!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Your comments are a part of making my day bright and shiny. I value your advice, criticism and viewpoints.

Popular posts from this blog

Thai Chicken San Choy Bau

Brussels Sprouts - Power Food - Re-post

Carrot Cake _ Power Food - repost