Mashed Potatoes and Parsnips

It is potato month at Thumbs Up.  Please look at the bottom of this post for information.

Not that long ago, I used parsnips in my chicken soup and no where else.  I could not imagine parsnips having a value of their own.  Of course, I really had not tasted parsnip.  In the soup, it had melded with other wonderful vegetables and of course, chicken.

One day, I came across roasted vegetables with parsnips included.  I figured, I had nothing to lose with all those vegetables that I knew would be good.  That is when I discovered that parsnips have a life of their own.  Now when I see parsnips in a recipe I want to make it immediately.

I have made this particular recipe before but I don't remember posting it and it is as simple as can be and has a subtle taste.  If you like mashed potatoes, I think you will like this dish.

Mashed Potatoes and Parsnips

Ingredients:


2 pounds parsnips
4 pounds russet potatoes 

salt
1/4 cup chives
1/2 cup sour cream
About 1/2 teaspoon white pepper


Method:

 Peel parsnips, halve lengthwise and cut into 2-in. pieces. Put in a large pot. 

Peel potatoes, cut into 2-in. pieces, and add to the pot. 

Cover vegetables with cold water and bring to a boil. Add 1 tbsp. salt. 

Cook until vegetables are tender when pierced by a fork, about 10 minutes. Drain well.
Meanwhile, chop chives. 

Mash potatoes and parsnips with a potato masher. 

Stir in chives  and sour cream, and 1/2 tsp. white pepper. Add more salt and pepper to taste. Serve warm.

Eat and enjoy!


This post is linked to the event Little Thumbs Up (July 2014 Event: Potato) - organised by Zoe (Bake for Happy Kids) and Mui Mui (My Little Favourite DIY) and hosted by Jasline (Foodie Baker)"
1abbb-th_littlethumbups1-1
Ingredient for July - POTATO

Linked to:      Foodie Friday    Freedom Fridays     Real Food Friday    Fight Back Friday          The Yuck Stops Here       Best of the Weekend     Real Food Weekly Roundup     Fat Tuesday

Comments

  1. Hi Chaya!
    It took me a long time to learn the value of parsnips. Now, I just love them too. Parsnip soup is delicious and I've even seen a recipe for Parsnip Cake. Almost the same as carrot cake!

    Your mashed potatoes and parsnips sounds yummy. I must remember to buy parsnips more often and save some for the mashed potatoes!

    Thanks for sharing, Chaya...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Chaya! I've not tried parsnip before, I usually mash carrots with potatoes, will definitely try out the parsnip + potato combination one day! Thank you for linking up with Little Thumbs Up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Chaya - it sounds like a great mashed potato variation. Thank you for sharing on Foodie Friday

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never used parsnips in anything! My daughter is a mashed potato fanatic, so the next time I see parsnips in the store I will have to buy a couple of pounds to give this recipe a try. Thanks so much for joining us this week on The Yuck Stops Here recipe link party. I can't wait to see what you bring next week! HUGS

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Chaya,

    Seeing your delicious mash, I'm feeling shameful that I have not been cooking much with parsnip :p

    Zoe

    ReplyDelete
  6. I never thought to mix parsnips and carrots in a cream sauce. YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great combination, Chaya, this looks like a great recipe! Hope you have a great week and thanks so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday.
    Come Back Soon!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've mixed celery root but not parsnips with potatoes. Sound like a great idea.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Your comments are a part of making my day bright and shiny. I value your advice, criticism and viewpoints.

Popular posts from this blog

Thai Chicken San Choy Bau

Brussels Sprouts - Power Food - Re-post

Carrot Cake _ Power Food - repost