Old Fashioned Apple Crisp - Ina Garten


Ina Fridays yields pure deliciousness and her apple crisp is just another example of this.  I have already baked a yummy chocolate cake and could sit back and relax as far as my commitment to the Ina Friday group.  Who says that we should only cook Ina recipes once a month when they are so good.

I did make a few changes to this recipe.  I had a container from Costco with five pounds of apples which consisted of 12 apples.  That is an awful lot of apples.  While that is what Ina asked for, I cut it back to 7 apples which more than filled the pan. 

 I did forget the two zests.  I love zesting, particularly oranges because of the fragrance and was delighted this was called for in this dish.  I put the zest in a small glass bowl and just didn't see it when I was putting together all the components.  Silly me.

I don't have gluten-free oatmeal so I took my rolled oats and grinded them in my mini food processor.  Instead of butter, I used oil.

Now for the crisp.

Old-Fashioned Apple Crisp (Serves 10)  adapted from Barefoot Contessa Parties

Ingredients:

5 pounds Gala apples
Grated zest of 1 orange (I forgot to put in the zest for both fruits)
Grated zest of 1 lemon
2 tablespoons freshly squeezed orange juice
2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
1/2 cup granulated sugar
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground nutmeg

For the topping:
1 1/2 cups gluten-free flour mixture
3/4 cup granulated sugar
3/4 cup light brown sugar, packed
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1 cup oatmeal
1/3 cup oil

Method:

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 9 x 13 x 2-inch rectangular baking pan.

Peel, core, and cut the apples into large wedges. Combine the apples with the zests, juices, sugar, and spices. Pour into the baking pan.

To make the topping, combine the flour, sugars, salt, oatmeal, and oil in a bowl  and mix with hand or mixer until crumbly.  Scatter evenly over the apples.

Place the crisp on a sheet pan and bake for one hour until the top is brown and the apples are bubbly. Serve warm.

Eat and enjoy!

Check out the other cooks and bakers.
This is linked to Foodie Friday     Freedom Fridays      The Yuck Stops Here       Best of the Weekend   Cook-Your-Books.     Simple Supper Tuesday         The Hearth and Soul Hop        Gluten_Free and DIY Tuesday
 photo 77951578-1914-4b72-8eda-9e40a91183ac_zps331eb4b4.jpg

Powered by Linky Tools
Click here to enter your link and view this Linky Tools list...

Comments

  1. This is perfect for a 4th cookout. Looks very tempting. Thanks for sharing.

    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  2. I almost made this but decided against it since I recently posted an apple recipe. I love crisps as does Ina. They are so much easier than pies! Looks good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Another impressive recipe. You are on a roll! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Apple Crisp sure is hard to beat, there's just something about it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Chaya,
    This looks good! The perfect dessert to a enjoy with the family!
    Thanks for sharing with CYB!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You know how much I love Ina's recipes, Chaya and I think you have done a beautiful job of this one! Your Old Fashioned Apple Crisp looks delicious. It's one of my favourite desserts. Thank you for sharing this post with the Hearth and Soul Hop and thank you for sharing the H&S button in your sidebar too!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Your comments are a part of making my day bright and shiny. I value your advice, criticism and viewpoints.

Popular posts from this blog

Thai Chicken San Choy Bau

Brussels Sprouts - Power Food - Re-post

Carrot Cake _ Power Food - repost