Spinach and Cheese Strata - Martha Stewart


I think, I mentioned before that in the evening after the Sabbath, we have a special meal.  It is not a big one, nor is it a fancy one but it is good eating.  Tonight, I made a spinach and cheese strata based on a recipe from Martha Stewart.

We have been eating spinach daily, not with any intent, but with lots of love.  As I search for something that appeals to me, I keep being pulled in by spinach recipes.  On the Sabbath, I had both a main dish with spinach and a delightful salad that I concocted with the extra spinach from that dish.

During the past week, I also served a few dishes with spinach.  I have a feeling that this is not a vegetable that I will easily tire of.  That may be because it adapts to so many different foods.  It is good plain or with other vegetables, it is great with dairy and I love it with fish or meat.  

I think Popeye had something when he touted how his muscles came from all the spinach he ate.











  


   

Spinach and Cheddar Strata 



adapted from Martha Stewart

Ingredients:

1 teaspoon olive oil
10 ounces spinach
3 cups gluten-free bread cubes (1 inch)
5 large eggs, lightly beaten
1 cup milk
1 1/4 cups grated Mexican cheese
salt and ground pepper to taste

Method:

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. 

In a large skillet, heat oil over   medium-high. 

Add spinach and cook, , until wilted, about 2 minutes. 

Transfer to a colander and drain, pressing with a rubber spatula to release as much liquid as possible. 

Divide bread and spinach among 3 small, shallow 8-ounce baking dishes.

In a medium bowl, whisk together eggs, milk, and 3/4 cup cheese. Season with 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper.

Divide mixture evenly among baking dishes and top with 1/2 cup cheese.

Place parchment paper on  a rimmed baking sheet 

Put baking dishes on sheet and bake until set in middle and golden brown on top, 20 to 25 minutes.

Comments

  1. Your stratas look lovely. I could always use some new ideas and we do love spinach. I've never gone wrong with a Martha Stewart idea.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful strata recipe, Chaya. I'm always looking for new ways to use spinach - it's so tasty and nutritious too. Popeye definitely had a point :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your Spinach and Cheese Strata looks delicious and we will really enjoy it. Hope you are having a really good day and thanks so much for sharing this awesome post with Full Plate Thursday.
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Your comments are a part of making my day bright and shiny. I value your advice, criticism and viewpoints.

Popular posts from this blog

Thai Chicken San Choy Bau

Brussels Sprouts - Power Food - Re-post

Carrot Cake _ Power Food - repost