What to Do with Leftover Unbaked Pie Crust

Have you found yourself with those extra pieces of crust after baking a pie.  What do you do with them?  Or, like me, are you cleaning out your freezer and finding odds and ends like three whole empty, unbaked pie shells that you area certainly not throwing out?

In my Passover cleaning "event", I did find those three beautiful pie shells just waiting to be filled.  The problem is that they are not gluten free and there is no way, I am baking pies for this house, with only me to eat them.  I could invite all the neighbors in for coffee and pie.....but no......I used this as a teachable moment and found wonderful ways to use that pie dough.

One crust down and I have made chocolate peanut butter cookies, peanut butter and jelly cookies, cinnamon raisin cookies and an experimental cookie.  I guess they were all experiments since there were no recipes and I just played Pie Master.

I learned from each of these cookies and probably would make some changes, making them again.  The first is the Chocolate Peanut Butter Cookie.

I made this as quick and easy as possible.  Since my pie shell was already shaped, I placed it on a floured counter and rolled it flat.  That was my starting point and then came the fun.

Chocolate Peanut Butter Cookies

Ingredients:

as much pie crust as you choose to use
chocolate chips  1/2 cup to 1 cup, depending on how many cookies, you are making
1/2 cup peanut butter

Method:

Select a small cookie cutter, any shape, and cut out a few cookies.  When you use all the dough, pull away the extra pieces of dough, make a ball and roll it out or just push it down flat.  

Cut some more shaped cookies.

Microwave your peanut butter for about 20 seconds until softened and brush each piece with of cookie, with it. 

Cover with chocolate chips.

Bake at 375 degrees for 8 minutes or until the bottom is lightly browned.

* I made a mistake because the chips did not melt.  I should have either melted them before hand and put the creamy chocolate on, after the cookies were baked OR, I should have baked the cookies and then put the chips on top of each cookie and return them, to the oven, for a minute.  Then, spread on top of peanut butter.

I also could have added a little confectioner's sugar and cream cheese to the peanut butter for a better taste.

These are definitely to play with and they do come out and are delicious.  Have some fun.





Comments

  1. Well, that is certainly super creative. And looks delicious! Me, I would have filled three pies and eaten them all by myself... I am ADDICTED to pies...

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Your comments are a part of making my day bright and shiny. I value your advice, criticism and viewpoints.

Popular posts from this blog

Thai Chicken San Choy Bau

Brussels Sprouts - Power Food - Re-post

Carrot Cake _ Power Food - repost