Goat Cheese Stuffed Spinach Pancakes - My Meatless Mondays


Keep me away from cookbooks!  Keep me away from Foodie magazines!  Keep me away from the food sites and blogs!  I fall too quickly and I fall hard.  I saw this recipe on food.com and that was it.  I became fixated with it and could not wait to make it. 

Actually the recipe is called Goat Cheese Stuffed Zucchini Pancakes with Tomato Sauce.  I had little time to make these and was going to use one of my bottled tomato sauces rather than make one until I tasted one of these pancakes.  No way, was I diluting, their wonderful flavors with tomato sauce. That is like putting ketchup on a delicious dish.  I happened to have spinach in the house so subbed that for the zucchini.  I am sure, it would be just as delicious with zucchini or other vegetables.


I am still falling for this dish and wish I had more.  These are put on the top of my list for side dishes, for vegetable dishes, for savory pancakes, for everything.  I love them.

Goat Cheese Stuffed Spinach Pancakes  (adapted from Emeril Lagasse)

 Ingredients
Goat Cheese
  • 2 cups spinach
  • 1/4 cup grated yellow onions
  • 1/2 teaspoon dried  basil
  • 2 teaspoons chopped lemon zest
  • 1/2 teaspoon chopped garlic
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
  • 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 2 large eggs, beaten
  • 1/2 cup olive oil
  • 1 (5-ounce) log goat cheese, very thinly sliced

Directions:

Preheat the oven to 200 degrees F.
In a large bowl, combine the zucchini, onions, basil, zest,  garlic, salt, and pepper. 

In a small bowl, combine the flour and baking powder. Add the eggs and flour mixture to the vegetables and stir just until combined.

Heat a large, nonstick skillet over medium-high heat for 3 minutes. When hot, add enough oil to coat the bottom of the pan. Add the batter by tablespoons into the skillet (making sure to spoon both batter and vegetables), leaving 1-inch between the cakes. 

Immediately drop a round of cheese into the center of each pancake. Top with another tablespoon of batter to enclose the cheese. 

Cook until golden brown on the bottom side, about 1 1/2 minutes. Flip with a spatula and cook on the 2nd side until golden brown, about 1 minute. 

Remove from the pan and place on a baking sheet. Keep warm in the oven while preparing the remaining pancakes.

Husband's observation - "This is filled with something."  A few minutes later. "Delicious - make it again."  A success!



                                         
Linked to Full Plate Thursdays   :   This Week's Cravings
The Saturday Evening Pot

Prarie Story   
Foodie Friday
Ingredient Spotlight 







Comments

  1. Yum! Spinach and goat cheese! Great combination!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am on a goat cheese kick these days, and this looks wonderful. Was the spinach fresh or frozen?

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a seriously amazing meal, I'm glad you found it! Miriam@Meatless Meals For Meat Eaters

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great looking food on your party....your meal looks so delicious and I am sure we would enjoy it. Thank you so much for sharing at Full Plate Thursday and please come back!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Always ready to try something new. These look delicious!
    I'm a new follower from the hop! Hoping you can hop by and visit or follow me!
    http://stylendecordeals.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Your comments are a part of making my day bright and shiny. I value your advice, criticism and viewpoints.

Popular posts from this blog

Thai Chicken San Choy Bau

Brussels Sprouts - Power Food - Re-post

Carrot Cake _ Power Food - repost