Passover Baking - Brownies

rownies, PPassover starts the evening of the 19th - Monday night.  Our cooking for eight days is quite different in certain areas.  We do not use any leavened products.  What we buy must have a mark that tells us, it is made especially for the holiday.

Meat and fruit and vegetables remain basically the same.  We just can't use any prohibited products.  To cut down on meat, I plan to have a lot of veggie meals for the middle days.  There are 4 days of the holiday, 1 Sabbath day and three additional days which we call Chol Ha Moed, and these are half holidays.

Until, I prepare my kitchen, I can't cook anything for Passover, also called Pesach.  I don't want to wait until then to share some recipes for you, the readers.  Whether you are observing the holiday or not, you might enjoy some, if not all of the recipes.

I am going to start now with the recipes and add the photos after I make them in two weeks time.  I start cooking a few days before the holidays.  I keep cooking until the end.  I hope to find new recipes and plan to do some experimenting.  The recipes, I am sharing now are ones that I have made before.

I thought, we should start with fun, brownies.  Although these brownies have a different texture than the ones, I normally make, they are scrumptious.  I make, at least one huge pan of these.  This is one of the goodies that I eat and love.

There is a page at My Sweet and Savory with some of the recipes, I saved, last year.


I make both Tamar Ansh and Susie Fishbein’s Passover Brownies.  They are quite similar.  I made Tamar’s tonight.  I am going to share both recipes.  Don’t turn your back on these.  They won’t be there, when your turn around.


Tamar calls hers, “Famous Brownies”.  I would guess, within Jewish homes, these are quite famous.  Most people, I know, make one or the other recipes.  Tamar may know something, I do not know and probably means famous, in a broader manner.
Brownies for Passover  (adapted)
6 eggs
2 2/3 cups sugar (My husband commented, these were not sweet.  He did not know how much sugar was in the brownies but he is right.  They were just right, no cloying aftertaste.)
1 1/2 cups potato starch
3/4 cup cocoa
2/3 cup vegetable oil
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup walnuts, coarsely chopped
Glaze:
I did not have time to make the glaze but I am going to share the entire recipe.  I did spread chocolate chips on top and put the brownies back in the oven for a minute.  I then spread the chips over the brownie pudding, not the brownies.  Hubby likes them without frosting.
The real glaze follows:
1  cup powdered sugar
2 tablespoons oil
2 tablespoons hot water
2 tablespoons cocoa
BROWNIES

Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit (180 degrees Celsius). 
  
Place the eggs, sugar, potato starch, cocoa, oil and vanilla into a large bowl.
Mix it all together until it is smooth.
Add chopped walnuts.
Line a 9 x 13 inch pan with parchment paper and pour the batter into the pan.
Bake for 30 minutes, or until a cake tester inserted into the brownies’s center comes out mostly clean, and the top is light brown and crispy.
(I used a square pan and made a round brownie pudding cake from the extra batter.  I plan to post the pudding cake on My Sweet and Savory, hopefully, tomorrow.)
Do not overbake.
When you remove the pan from the oven, allow it to cool completely.
Glaze:
In a small bowl, mix together the glaze ingredients with a spoon until smooth. 
Spread over the cooled brownies.
Allow it to set for a few minutes and then slice.

Linked to Haley It's A Keeper


Comments

  1. These sound delicious, Chaya! I have never cooked with potato starch before. I am very interested in Passover recipes and traditions, so I will look forward to your posts!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Your comments are a part of making my day bright and shiny. I value your advice, criticism and viewpoints.

Popular posts from this blog

Thai Chicken San Choy Bau

Brussels Sprouts - Power Food - Re-post

Carrot Cake _ Power Food - repost