I simple love being part of this group, Thirty Minute Thursdays. I, for sure, have the opportunity to make pasta, weekly. No wimping out. No complaining. No desires to make something else.
Who am I kidding? I love pasta. This is my excuse to make it. I had just bought some fresh mozzarella which is quite a treat. It is richer and creamier than the packaged kind, I usually buy. That is why, I picked this recipe which is simply pasta,oregano, tomatoes and mozzarella. A little salt and pepper, if you want. Frankly, I think it needs the salt.
I don't know why I share my ignorance with you but I did not know which pasta was fusilli. I found a picture and it looks like spirals. Since, I make pasta, gluten-free, I am limited anyway so I can't get hung up, looking for the right pasta.
Cutting the cheese in small pieces was more effective than shredding it. It spread throughout the pasta more evenly and it was really stringy. Stringy may be the freshness of it. That, I don't know.
Fusilli with Tomato and Mozzarella, or fusilli “Margherita” (adapted)
- 2 pounds fresh tomatoes
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 8 ounces fresh whole milk Mozzarella
2. Peel the tomatoes and remove the seeds. Cut the flesh into ½-inch dice. Put the olive oil in a 12-inch skillet and place over high heat. When the oil is hot, add the tomatoes. Sauté for just 2 to 3 minutes, then season with salt and remove from the heat. Transfer to the bowl you will be using to serve the pasta.
3. When the water for the pasta is boiling, add about 2 tablespoons salt, add the fusilli and stir well. Cook until very al dente (about 30 seconds less than you normally would).
4. Coarsely chop enough oregano leaves to measure about 2 teaspoons and add them to the tomatoes in the bowl. Cut the mozzarella into small ¼-inch dice.
5. When the pasta is done, drain well and toss with the sauce in the bowl. Add the mozzarella, toss again, then cover the bowl and let stand for about 30 seconds to allow the cheese to melt a bit. Uncover the bowl, toss one last time and serve at once.
Linked to the Ultimate Recipe Swap - It's A Keeper Thursday
Fresh Clean and Pure Fridays What's On Your Plate?