Cocoa Crinkle Cookies

I didn't get to explain about Purim and I do want to share one of our customs to explain, all my baking, which you will find here and at My Sweet and Savory.

We have a blast on Purim.  There is a big meal where we definitely indulge in good food.  The holiday starts in the evening and goes through to the following evening.  We hear the Megilla read.  The Megilla contains the Book of Esther which I love.  This holiday is a remembrance and celebration of the happenings of this book.

We give food gifts to several people although it is not necessary to give that many.  I decided this year to bake cookies and add fruit to my packages.  I will see if I have some still around and will take some photos.

Children and adults wear costumes and are in holiday spirit.  The streets of neighborhoods are filled with all of these happy folks giving their gifts out.  While in the house, others are making more packages.  Gifts vary.  We could get wine and cheese in one package and different kinds of candy in another.  We always receive challahs which we freeze and keep for our Sabbath.  Some packages are modest and a few are extravagant.  I believe in the modest ones with something substantial in them.  I remember one year, a friend bought a plastic bagel holder and filled it with bagels and added a container of cream cheese and a package of lox.  That was fun to get.

I decided on cookies for two reasons.  In this way, I could make packages for the boys in my class as well as friends and neighbors and I would also rid the house of flour and puff pastry.

I will be sharing these goodies with you in the days to come.  If you want to see some photos now, go on over to My Sweet and Savory and in the post on My Meatless Mondays you will find a number of photos.

One of the cookies, I chose was these crinkle cookies from Hersheys.  They have some wonderful recipes there and luscious pictures.


Ingredients:

  • 2 cups granulated sugar
  • 3/4 cup canola oil
  • 3/4 cup cocoa 
  • 4 eggs
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
  • 2-1/3 cups all-purpose flour
  • 2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • Powdered sugar

Directions

Combine granulated sugar and oil in large bowl; add cocoa, beating until well blended. Beat in eggs and vanilla. Stir together flour, baking powder and salt; gradually add to cocoa mixture, beating well. Cover; refrigerate until dough is firm enough to handle, at least 6 hours.
Heat oven to 350°F. Lightly grease cookie sheet or line with parchment paper. Shape dough into 1-inch balls; roll in powdered sugar to coat. Place about 2 inches apart on prepared cookie sheet. 

Bake 11 to 13 minutes or until almost no indentation remains when touched lightly and tops are crackled. Cool slightly. Remove from cookie sheet to wire rack. Cool completely. About 4 dozen cookies.

These are examples of the packages we give and we get, filled with food items.
                                                                                                                          

     


    Linked to This Week's Cravings - Chocolat Bookmarked Recipes

      Comments

      1. Love the crazy paving effect on your cookies!

        ReplyDelete
      2. These look delicious! I've always wanted to make crinkle style cookies. Aren't you good to share these around?

        ReplyDelete
      3. These cookies are so beautiful. Love all the crackly or crinkly look on the surface. I have to make these..

        Thanks a lot for linking this to bookmark event :)
        US Masala

        ReplyDelete
      4. Seems like you forgot to add the event logo with the link back..will appreciate if you could please update your post.


        US Masala

        ReplyDelete
      5. thank you for linking these delicious cookies looks fabulous

        ReplyDelete
      6. Thanks so much for linking to THIS WEEK'S CRAVINGS... we are already enjoying a ton of recipes, so make sure to stop back by and see all the different CHOCOLATE stuff! It's gonna be one SWEET week of all CHOCOLATE!

        And don't forget to come back next week for "HIDDEN INGREDIENT"... "What can you hide in your recipes?"

        http://momscrazycooking.blogspot.com/search/label/THIS%20WEEKS%20CRAVINGS

        ReplyDelete

      Post a Comment

      Your comments are a part of making my day bright and shiny. I value your advice, criticism and viewpoints.

      Popular posts from this blog

      Thai Chicken San Choy Bau

      Brussels Sprouts - Power Food - Re-post

      Carrot Cake _ Power Food - repost