Maple Pecan Muffins

I have mentioned before that I love muffins, all kinds of muffins and yet, I have not posted any, for a while.  I think it is a time for another muffin, one from Nigella Lawson.   I respect Nigella and love most of her recipes.  Reading her new book has given me glances of who she is and I have learned a tremendous amount from her tips and her techniques.

There are chefs that I have cooked from that I wish I could do a recipe a week.  Nigella is one.  Tyler Florence is another.

I am planning to do a lot more Ina Garten cooking, right here.  I am not a person who uses lots of fat.  I sub oil for butter whenever possible.  Ina is going to be my challenge because I am cutting down her fats in my recipes and I am going to make them work.  I recently made one of her loaf cakes and I did just this, subbed in oil for the butter and used less than called for.  I had a luscious, moist cake.  It was delicious and I doubt it lost anything in the translation.    My advice to my readers is not to shy away from Ina or Paula, for that matter.  Take a few risks and experiment and cut back on what is unhealthy, if that is what you want.  Otherwise, simply enjoy it. I am the one, attempting to lose weight so I have to cut back.  I am not telling you to do the same unless it is opposed to your own philosophy of eating and cooking.



Maple Pecan Muffins - adapted

Makes 10

Ingredients:

1 cup walnuts, roughly chopped

2 cups all-purpose flour

4 teaspoons baking powder 

1 pinch of salt

1/2 cup Rice Milk

1 egg

1/2 cup maple syrup

1/2 cup vegetable oil

1 teaspoon vanilla extract

1 tablespoon dark brown sugar


Method:

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.

Fill a 12-cup muffin tray with paper liners. (I had enough for ten.)

Reserve 1/4th of the chopped pecans. 


Mix together the remaining walnuts with flour, salt,and baking powder.

In another bowl, whisk together milk, egg, maple syrup, oil and vanilla.

Pour the liquids into the dry mixture. Gently fold to mix.

The batter can have some lumps. Do not overmix because these muffins can get tough.
Spoon batter into muffin cups.

Chop the remaining nuts finely and mix with the dark brown sugar.

Sprinkle a little of this mixture on top of each muffin.

Bake for about 20 minutes until tester comes clean.

The nut topping turns golden, but the muffins will be somewhat pale.

Remove muffins to a cooling rack.

I loved the tinge of maple flavoring but my husband thought it was cloying.  We do have different tastes when it comes to desserts.  I would cut the maple syrup, next time and I do want to make them with pecans.



Comments

  1. Even the name is a turn on - Love Maple Syrup; Love pecans - How can you go wrong with these two - Delicious looking muffins dear :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rice milk is an interesting addition as well...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mmm, eating these muffins would be a real treat. I'd feel like I was enjoying a great dessert. I hope you'll come by and link this up to Sweets for a Saturday.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Your comments are a part of making my day bright and shiny. I value your advice, criticism and viewpoints.

Popular posts from this blog

Thai Chicken San Choy Bau

Brussels Sprouts - Power Food - Re-post

Carrot Cake _ Power Food - repost