Hamantashen with Apricot or Blueberry Filling

Jewish homes, all over the world, eat this interesting cookie on the holiday of Purim.  It is a three cornered cookie, traditionally filled with poppy seeds.  Nowadays, we fill it with everything from chocolate to fruit.  For information on the reasons for eating these cookies, at this time, you can check this article.

This is recipe that just goes together.  The fun is in planning the filling.  I used apricot butter with chopped almonds and cherry jam with whole cherries in it.  I also made a few blueberry filled hamantashen using blueberry jelly.  You can make your own filling and it is easy to do but I am on my rampage to empty out the refrigerator for Passover so the jellies are being utilized.

Ingredients:
  • 4 eggs
  • 1 1/2 cups sugar
  • 3/4 - 1 cup oil
  • 1 tablespoon vanilla
  • 1 tablespoon baking powder
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 5 1/2 cups flour
  • 1/2 cup apricot butter
  • 1/2 cup cherry jelly
  • 1/2 cup blueberry jelly
 Method:

 Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
Beat eggs and add the sugar, oil, vanilla, baking powder, salt and flour. 
Chill dough in refrigerator for at least 1 hour.
Split the dough into two pieces.
Roll  out dough to a 1/4 inch thickness.
Using 2 inch round cookie cutter, make rounds.  (You can make these bigger, if you choose.)
Spread apricot butter or jelly on the rounds leaving some free room around the edges.  Use about 1/2 to 1 teaspoon of filling of choice.  Do not overfill or it will come out the sides.
Fold one third over filling, folding about 1/4 of the dough.  Fold the next third and finally the third.  I wish, I could draw a picture.  I don't think, I took one.
Pinch corners together.  I read one article which said clearly not to pinch and one would get a better cookie but I pinched. :)
Place on parchment paper on a cookie sheet and bake for 12 minutes at 350 degrees.  Larger cookies need a few more minutes.


These are really good.  Have fun with the fillings.  Enjoy.

Linked to:   A Moderate Life      -   What's On the Menu Wednesday?     -    33 Shades of Green  
Frugal Food Thursdays    -      Permanent Posies           Tasty Tuesdays 
Mandy's Recipe Box                Ultimate Recipe Swap  
Pennywise Platter Thursdays 
Grocery Cart Challenge

Comments

  1. your are perfect I tried making them and they look funny... lovely picture.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It makes me happy seeing your post because I wanted to make these this year but was unable to. Thanks for a great post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These cookies seem to be popping up on the blogosphere a lot, so I'll definitely have to try them soon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hithere, thanks for stopping by my blog earlier. You've such a lovely blog. I am loving these cookies especially the one with apricot filling. Yummm.... Looking forward for sharing more. Hope to see you more often. Have a great day.
    Blessings, Kristy

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love to see traditional foods blogged about. Everyone knows about staple items and comfort foods but traditional is where it's at!

    Great post and thanks for sharing at the hearth and soul hop.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Your comments are a part of making my day bright and shiny. I value your advice, criticism and viewpoints.

Popular posts from this blog

Thai Chicken San Choy Bau

Brussels Sprouts - Power Food - Re-post

Carrot Cake _ Power Food - repost