Veggies Galore - Secret Recipe Club

What do you see?  This leads us to my Secret Recipe, started by Amanda of Amanda's Cookin'.  She is the most organized person, I think, I have met.  She is dealing with over 100 foodies who have questions and problems and she manages this beautifully.  Thanks Amanda.

If you want great recipes, stop at Amanda's and check out the photos, while you are there.

For those of you who are not part of this network of bloggers, each month that we participate, we are given a secret blog and in the next month, we select and make a recipe from that blog.  That is the most fun.  I love taking the time to go through a blog and print up some recipes but usually, that is a luxury.  This time, I had the perfect excuse to stay and enjoy myself. 


If you are not a member, you may very well want to be.  Let Amanda know or any member will get you connected to her. 

What do you see?



 Right! Vegetables.  I am a fortunate woman because my secret recipe comes from blog with lots of recipes with vegetables.  The name of this blog is Jeanette's Healthy Living and I am thrilled to have discovered it.

The frustration entailed in selecting a recipe was astounding.  I jumped back and forth from desserts to salad to drinks and to pasta, picking one recipe after another.  When push came to shove, I made two vegetable dishes, a salsa Fresh Mango Avocado Pepper Salsa  and a side, Sauteed Broccoli with Red Bell Pepper.  Both were easy to make and were colorful and delicious.  I have at least, another twenty recipes, I want to make and drat, Jeanette keeps adding new ones that appeal to me.

If I am going to be honest, I have to tell you, my husband stopped at Costco and came to the door with six mangoes and 6 bell peppers for the two of us, which resulted in my choices.  There were two pasta dishes, I had my eye on but the veggies made my decision, for me and I am happy they did.

Even if you are not into healthy eating, you will find lots of interesting information and beautiful photos and delicious recipes so visit Jeanette and say, "hello."

Sauteed Broccoli and Red Bell Pepper

Sometimes, I steam or blanch the broccoli ahead of time; then when I'm ready to cook dinner, I just saute the vegetables quickly.
1 bunch broccoli, cut into florets; if using stems, trim, peel and slice
1 red bell pepper, trimmed, seeds and membranes removed, diced
1 shallot, minced
1 tablespoon olive oil
salt and pepper, to taste

Steam broccoli or blanch broccoli. To steam broccoli, bring 1" of water to boil in a largestockpot. Place broccoli in steamer basket. Steam for 5-6 minutes until just tender. Alternatively, blanch broccoli by bringing a pot of water to boil. Add broccoli. Cook 5-6 minutes. Remove broccoli and place in bowl filled with ice water to retain bright green color; drain.


Heat olive oil in a saute pan and add shallots. Stir and cook until translucent, about 1-2 minutes. Add red bell pepper and saute 1 minute. Add cooked broccoli, season to taste with salt and pepper, and toss until heated through.


I was out of shallots.  Other than that, I followed the recipe.  
________________________________________________________________________
Another delicious dish was the Mango, Avocado, Pepper Salsa which has some of my favorite foods, mango and avocado.  This calls for cilantro which I did not have.  I have four herbs in my garden, chives, basil, parsley and oregano and I use them, almost exclusively when they are in season.  I don't remember if I used basil or parsley.

This is  really a nice dish and I can see it used with many food items.  I would make this without the mango to top stuffed potatoes.  I can't wait to do just that.


Fresh Mango Avocado Pepper Salsa

Ingredients:

  • 1 mango, diced
  • 1 red bell pepper, diced
  • 1 yellow pepper, diced
  • 1 avocado, chopped
  • 1 small onion, finely chopped
  • 3 tablespoons fresh chives, minced
  • 3 tablespoons fresh cilantro, minced
  • 2-3 tablespoons fresh lime juice or white wine vinegar

Directions:

  1. Mix all ingredients together and serve with tortilla chips, or on top of grilled chicken or fish.
Another success.




Comments

  1. Looks wonderful and I adore anything with mangoes.

    I'd love for you to check out my SRC recipe this month: Holy Guacamole.

    Lisa~~
    Cook Lisa Cook

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Bizzy, what a fun event! Thanks for trying out a few of my recipes - I'm glad you liked them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like Jeanette's Healthy Living blog was a big winner for you!

    I'm really interested in the Secret Recipe Club, but I'm not sure I have the time to take on more. But I probably will anyway!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mmm, so fresh and healthy! Both look like they turned out great!

    ReplyDelete
  5. My favorite way to prepare broccoli!
    So fun to be in the Secret Recipe Club with you. This looks amazing :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. :) You already know that I love veggies! I really love the salsa too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What great veggie recipes! Isn't SRC fun?

    ReplyDelete
  8. This looks fabulous. Nice work on the Secret Recipe Club. Isn't it fun. I love finding new blogs and reading through them.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love your veggie shots and the recipe is something I'd love to serve my family. Broccoli is one of the veggies everyone will eat... a keeper for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That looks like a delicious way to serve broccoli!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Your comments are a part of making my day bright and shiny. I value your advice, criticism and viewpoints.

Popular posts from this blog

Thai Chicken San Choy Bau

Brussels Sprouts - Power Food - Re-post

Carrot Cake _ Power Food - repost