Gluten Freedom


Today is an exciting day, in our house, because, I finally bought gluten-free oats.  For 18 years,  I have baked a few items with oat meal (GF) but I never had the oats for crumbles and cookies and all that good stuff.  Today, I received a shipment of the real thing, rolled oats.

 I baked cookies and my daughter is excited to make an apple crumble and we have so many plans.  This is truly like a new toy, for us.  The problem is that I was not sure what the cookie should be like.  Should it be thick.  Does it spread (oh yes!)  Will it taste good?  ....another resounding YES!!!


 Oatmeal Raisin Cookies  from Dorie Greenspan

Makes about 40 Oatmeal Raisin cookies

Ingredients:

  • 3 cups gluten-free old-fashioned oats
  • 1 1/2 cups gluten-free flour
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
  • 1 1/2 sticks  unsalted margarine, at room temperature
  • 1 (packed) cup light brown sugar
  • 3/4 cup sugar
  • 2 large eggs, at room temperature
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
  • 1 1/2 cups plump, moist dried raisins

Method:

  1. Getting ready: Position the racks to divide the oven into thirds and preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
  2. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper or silicone baking mats.
  3. Whisk together the oats, flour, cinnamon, baking soda, salt and freshly grated nutmeg and keep at hand.
  4. Working in a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, or using a hand mixer in a large bowl, beat the butter, brown sugar and granulated sugar on medium speed until smooth and creamy.
  5. Add the eggs one at a time and beat for 1 minute after each addition and then beat in the vanilla. Reduce the mixer speed to low and add the dry ingredients slowly, beating only until blended.
  6. Add the dried cranberries or raisins and mix to incorporate them evenly into the dough. (At this point, the dough can be wrapped well and chilled for up to 2 days.)
  7. Drop rounded tablespoonfuls of dough 2 inches apart onto the baking sheets or use a medium (1 1/2 tablespoons) scoop. If the dough has been chilled, gently press down on the mounds of dough until they’re about 1/2-inch thick.
  8. Slide the sheets into the oven and bake for 12 to 15 minutes, rotating the sheets front to back and top to bottom after 7 minutes. The cookies will be golden and just firm around the edges.
  9. Lift the cookies onto cooling racks with a wide metal spatula – they’ll firm as they cool. Repeat with the remaining dough always making certain that your baking sheets are cool.
 One batch was crisp and I cut the baking time by two minutes and then they were chewy and delicious.

Grocery Cart Challenge


Comments

  1. Yay! I'm happy for you Chaya! Enjoy all those oat goodies! I had the itch to bake cookies all day - tomorrow for sure. These look wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice cookies. Thanks so much for sharing on Friday Food at Momtrends. I love all this kitchen inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks yummy, Chaya!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hooray!

    I have a bag of G/F oats. Have to give 'em a try. I love Oatmeal Cookies and so does my husband.

    Thank you.

    Oh and Crisps too!!!!!!!!!! Wheeeeeeee...

    Aunt Amelia
    "Aunt Amelia's Attic" blog at Wordpress

    ReplyDelete
  5. How exciting for you! Now you've really got me craving oatmeal raisin cookies though...these look delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yum! I was so excited when I realized that you can buy gf oats. I love using them for crumb toppings. Your cookies look delicious! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, I love oatmeal cookies! So happy you could enjoy a gf version...they look relish!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those cookies turned out beautifully, Chaya! Glad you are excited about your GF oats! Just think of all the things you're going to bake!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi!!!! I just discovered your blogs...love them!!!!! And this cookies are so yummy!!!!! looks delicious!!!! ciao

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Your comments are a part of making my day bright and shiny. I value your advice, criticism and viewpoints.

Popular posts from this blog

Thai Chicken San Choy Bau

Brussels Sprouts - Power Food - Re-post

Carrot Cake _ Power Food - repost