Sweet and Sour Meat Loaf Muffins

My husband has a favorite meal which certainly is not my favorite meal.  Some time, last week, he mentioned to me, he would love to have meat loaf.   I heard him say it and I think, it went in one ear and out the other.  Several times, since then, he mentioned this to me and I guess, those statements also went in one ear and out the other.  Last night, he was stronger about this and I realized, he really meant it.  Guess what was for dinner tonight.

I decided to make meat loaf muffins.  I have done this before and stuffed them with mashed potatoes.  This goes along with my liking to make miniatures.

I made these sweet and sour as a slight twist to how I have made them, in the past.  He loved them and praise came unsolicited.   I must make meat loaf more often.

Sweet and Sour Meatloaf Muffins

Ingredients:
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • 1 onion finely chopped onion
  • 1/2 cup finely chopped carrot
  • 1 teaspoon fresh oregano (from my herb garden)
  • 1/2 cup plus another 1/2 cup ketchup (total 1 cup)
  • 1 teaspoon white vinegar
  • 1  pound ground beef
  • 1/2 cup corn meal
  • 1 tablespoon sharp mustard
  • 2 tablespoons brown sugar
  • 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
  • 2  eggs

Method:


Preheat oven to 350°.

In a large skillet, heat the olive oil over a medium heat, enough that it spreads over the entire bottom of the pan.
Add chopped onion, chopped carrot, and oregano.Cook for 3-4 minutes. 


Combine onion mixture, 1/2 cup ketchup, and all other remaining ingredients in a medium bowl.

Spoon the meat mixture into 12 muffin cups coated with cooking spray. Spoon about a teaspoon of ketchup on the top of each "muffin".

Bake at 350° for 25 minutes.

This is good served with mashed potatoes and peas or broccoli.  A nice salad would round out the meal.
Linked to Turn the Table Thursday 
Muffin Monday   

Foodie Friday at Designs by Gollum


Comments

  1. This looks like a delicious alternative to the barbecue sauce version I always make. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. They look yummy! I love meatloaf.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These sound delicious. I like the idea of individual servings...some for now and some placed in the freezer for latet.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Your comments are a part of making my day bright and shiny. I value your advice, criticism and viewpoints.

Popular posts from this blog

Thai Chicken San Choy Bau

Brussels Sprouts - Power Food - Re-post

Carrot Cake _ Power Food - repost