Chewy Molasses Spice Cookies - Operation Baking Gals

Today, I started my baking for Operation Baking Gals.  I have made three different cookies, so far.  I am hoping to bake another tonight and a few tomorrow so I can ship them out, at the beginning of the period of time.  I usually get there on the last day.




One time when I baked for the soldiers, I used Taste of Home since they have easy and durable cookies.  Other times, it was a random decision.  This time, I am baking Martha Stewart recipes.  The two I made, so far, were good.  One, I loved and the other was OK.


These chewy molasses cookies were fabulous.  Baked correctly, the outer rim is a little crisp and the inside is chewy, a delight to the tongue.
 
Chewy Molasses Spice Cookies -- Everyday Food, December 2005
  • Yield Makes 36

Ingredients:

  • 2 cups all-purpose flour (spooned and leveled)
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
  • 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1 1/2 cups sugar
  • 3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened  (I cut this down to 2 sticks, 1/2 cup and it was fine.)
  • 1 large egg
  • 1/4 cup molasses

Method:


  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt. In a shallow bowl, place 1/2 cup sugar; set aside.
  2. With an electric mixer, beat margarine and remaining cup of sugar until combined. Beat in egg and then molasses until combined. Reduce speed to low; gradually mix in dry ingredients, just until a dough forms.
  3. Pinch off and roll dough into balls, each equal to 1 tablespoon. Roll balls in reserved sugar to coat.
  4. Arrange balls on baking sheets, about 3 inches apart. Bake, one sheet at a time, until edges of cookies are just firm, 10 to 15 minutes (cookies can be baked two sheets at a time, but they will not crackle uniformly). Cool 1 minute on baking sheets; transfer to racks to cool.
When you bake these, take the spacing seriously.  These do spread a lot.






    Comments

    1. Yum! I love the flavor of molasses cookies, and these sound terrific! Thanks for sharing.

      ReplyDelete
    2. These look yummy! Love the taste of molasses.

      ReplyDelete
    3. I just made some molasses cookies last week and they were a hit! You can't go wrong with flavors like that :)

      ReplyDelete
    4. I was just thinking about molasses cookies. These look terrific.

      ReplyDelete
    5. Those sound really delicious...yum!

      ReplyDelete
    6. Mmm, mmm! Those are my favorite kind of molasses cookies, Chaya. :-) I will have to make these for my brother soon. :-)

      ReplyDelete
    7. My cookies always spread too much. I stopped using so much butter, added shortening instead and the spread lessened... still tasted great.

      BUT, besides that, ...


      Greetings. This is my first time on your blog, but you have a terrific one. I am always on the look out for new blogs, new ideas. I especially appreciate all the details you do, so many photos makes it seem like anyone can replicate the recipe!

      I am asking, would you please consider posting a few of your favorite recipes on erecipecards.com
      http://erecipecards.com/

      It is a tool for bloggers to see and to be seen. Your posts would fit in perfectly.

      in addition, all photos, recipe titles as well as your blog name would link directly back to your blog. Thus giving you new attention and potentially new readers.

      Or, if you just want to take a look at a lot of fellow food bloggers all in one place. A great learning experience to get ideas about how to establish your own blogging voice!


      Please take a look. If you have any ideas or questions, please do not hesitate to write

      Dave
      http://erecipecards.com/
      Contact@eRecipeCards.com

      ReplyDelete
    8. Chaya, I am going to have to try these, they sound GREAT! I always love a good, chewy molasses spice cookie.

      ReplyDelete
    9. I do so love molasses in cookies! That dark, rich, spicy flavor is dreamy delicious!

      ReplyDelete

    Post a Comment

    Your comments are a part of making my day bright and shiny. I value your advice, criticism and viewpoints.

    Popular posts from this blog

    Thai Chicken San Choy Bau

    Brussels Sprouts - Power Food - Re-post

    Carrot Cake _ Power Food - repost