Chocolate Ice Cream with Bits of Chocolate

 
Last Spring, I got an ice cream maker, just in time for the heat of summer.  It was a delight to be able to make up a favorite ice cream, whenever we wanted some.  What surprised me was that my source of recipes is Cuisinart.  I have had tremendous luck with these recipes and usually go to them when I want to try something new.  My other source is Dorie Greenspan.  The first time, I made ice cream, I used one of her recipes.  It was before I had the machine and she gave such an easy recipe that came out like rich ice cream with a minimum of fuss.



Needless to say, I am thrilled that an ice cream collection is being made here at Kitchen Bouquet.  


Deep Dark Chocolate Ice Cream - Cuisinart  (adapted)

Ingredients

2-1/4 cups whole milk
2-1/4 cups heavy cream
1-1/8 cups granulated sugar
1-1/8 cups Dutch process cocoa
2 large eggs
2 large egg yolks
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
12 ounces bittersweet chocolate, chopped

Instructions

In a large saucepan, combine the whole milk and heavy cream over medium-low heat.  Simmer the milk/cream mixture over low heat for 30 minutes.

Combine the sugar, cocoa, eggs, and egg yolks in a medium bowl; using a hand mixer on medium speed, beat until thickened like mayonnaise.

Measure out 1 cup of the hot milk/cream mixture. With the mixer on low speed, add the cup of hot milk/cream to the cocoa mixture in a slow, steady stream and mix until completely incorporated. Stir the chopped chocolate into the saucepan with the hot milk/cream.

Stir the egg mixture into the hot milk/cream. Cook over low heat, stirring constantly, until the mixture thickens and begins to resemble a chocolate pudding. Transfer the chocolate mixture to a bowl and stir in vanilla. Cover with plastic wrap placed directly on the surface of the chocolate mixture, and refrigerate until completely cooled.

Pour the chilled custard into the freezer bowl, turn the machine on and let mix until thickened, about 25 to 30 minutes. The ice cream will have a soft, creamy texture. If a firmer consistency is desired, transfer the ice cream to an airtight container and place in freezer for about 2 hours. Remove from freezer about 15 minutes before serving.  Cuisinart

Sit down on your porch or in a yard or in the kitchen with a plate of this ice cream and enjoy.

Comments

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love chocolate anything...I want to make it...but don't want to share ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. My daughter gave me an icecream maker last year - I need to pull it out now that the weather is nicer!

    It looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your ice cream looks delicious. I think I'm going to have to invest in an ice cream maker now. Thanks for sharing on A Well-Seasoned Life's Sweet Indulgences Sunday. Kim

    ReplyDelete
  5. There really is quite a collection being gathered...you're right! The past 3 years we have assembled over 80 recipes revolving around ice cream. This sounds like an awesome addition! So glad you found the Social and joined in. We will do it all again next year so mark your calendar!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Your comments are a part of making my day bright and shiny. I value your advice, criticism and viewpoints.

Popular posts from this blog

Thai Chicken San Choy Bau

Brussels Sprouts - Power Food - Re-post

Carrot Cake _ Power Food - repost