Tomato Casserole

I have been doing a lot of my cooking based on what is in the house.  I have some beautiful tomatoes, big and juicy, but nothing special to do with them.  I looked up recipes, on the Internet for a tomato casserole.  I came up with a few interesting ideas.  I made one from group recipes.  It turned out to have an interesting taste, flavorful but not sharp, as tomatoes can be.  In my opinion, this makes a great salsa rather than a casserole but we ate it as a side.  I wouldn't mind having this, on hand, to be used at will.  I see this with rice or pasta, with beans and bell peppers.  Mix in cheese and spread on toast. 


Tomato Casserole/Salsa

Ingredients:

  • 2 Tablespoons olive oil
  • 1 onion, chopped 
  • 1/2 cup chopped yellow bell pepper
  • 1/2 cup chopped celery (I was out of celery but I think it is necessary to the dish.)
  • 2 large tomatoes, chopped
  • 1/4 cup sugar
  • 1 teaspoon dried basil
  • 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
  • 2 Tablespoons cornstarch
  • 2 teaspoons basil and oregano flavored rice vinegar
  • 2 teaspoons water

Method:

Heat oil in large skillet.
Add onions, peppers, and celery.
Saute 3 to 5 minutes,until tender.
Add tomatoes, sugar, basil, salt & pepper to taste. Bring to a boil.
Mix cornstarch with vinegar and water and stir into skillet.
Pour the mixture into a greased casserole.
Bake at 350 for 30 minutes.



Midnight Maniac Meatless Mondays  

Comments

  1. Yeah! I can finally post a comment on your blog. Have been having problems with that. First, I want to thank you for linking up with Garden Variety Wednesday last week--I appreciate you taking time to do that.

    Second, I agree that this seems more of a salsa/sauce than a casserole. But I can see myslef eating it anyway! Looks like it would be great with pasta.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmm I bet roasting the tomatoes makes this super delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. tomato casserole looks delicious. Love to try them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. yay - you and I have casserole posts :) yours looks colorful and sumptuous too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks yummy, Chaya!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Your comments are a part of making my day bright and shiny. I value your advice, criticism and viewpoints.

Popular posts from this blog

Thai Chicken San Choy Bau

Brussels Sprouts - Power Food - Re-post

Carrot Cake _ Power Food - repost