Sausage and Potatoes Plus

Sausage is one of the meats that still appeals to me generally.  I love chicken and eat chopped chicken and turkey and at times, chopped beef.  Our sausage is turkey.  As you can see, in reality, I am basically a poultry gal.

I am trying to remember, as a child, if I liked chicken better than beef and I can't picture very much about the food we ate.  We ate plain food, chicken, potatoes and green beans.  I do remember creamed spinach and franks and beans.

A sandwich I remember is one made on a long, long, long handled sandwich maker or I think that is what it was.  I put in two pieces of bread and filled them with applesauce and sugar.  I held them over the gas until they were cooked.  I am pretty sure, they got turned at one point by flipping the long handle.  Being a grandmother leaves one with some interesting memories.  These were delicious and I could have lived on them.  Now, I am trying to remember why I liked them so much.  An applesauce sandwich..........?

My point was to share that I came home from a minimal cooking home. We had good food, balanced meal but nothing (other than my applesauce sandwiches) stands out in my mind.  We bought baked goods in a bakery and I remember with great fondness, those trips to the bakery.  I was with my Mom, looking up, as little children do when they are trying to see what is exhibited in the cases and on the cases. I was allowed to buy one item (not a cake or pie) and I stood there with big eyes looking from one treat to another.  One of my favorites was a black and white cookie and that came home with us, many times.





Roasted Sausage and Potatoes with the Trimmings I found the recipe on Recipezaar. If you click on the title of the recipe, it will take you there. I made some adjustments, such as removing the mozzarella cheese.

Ingredients:


1 teaspoon rosemary
salt and pepper to taste 

4 medium potatoes, quartered
1 pound kosher turkey sausage, sliced
1/2 red pepper, sliced
1/2 green pepper, sliced
 large yellow onion sliced
1 package fresh mushrooms, sliced (about one pound)

olive oil cooking spray

Method:

1 Preheat oven to 400°F.


2 Combine herbs, salt, pepper and potatoes and toss to mix.


3. Spray with olive oil.  

3 Place sausages and potatoes in large baking or roasting pan.


4 Roast at 400° for 30 minutes, or until just beginning to brown, turning several times.


5 Add a little  oil if the potatoes appear to be drying out.


6 Add remaining vegetables and roast 45 minutes more, turning occasionally, until potatoes are brown on the outside and tender on the inside.

Comments

  1. Sausage and potato dishes are big in Cajun country. I think I'd like this version with peppers & mushrooms!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love chicken too, we eat chicken more than any other meat in our house! And these roasted potatoes with veggies looks really good. We love potatoes too, anyway it is done! I think that it is a great idea to leave out the mozzarella, just enjoy the natural sweetness and deliciousness of the potaotes and veggies. Yum!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Your comments are a part of making my day bright and shiny. I value your advice, criticism and viewpoints.

Popular posts from this blog

Thai Chicken San Choy Bau

Brussels Sprouts - Power Food - Re-post

Carrot Cake _ Power Food - repost