Balsamic French Roast



I am pretty sure that the cookbook, I used the most this year, is the Taste of Pesach which is a project of Yeshiva Me'on HaTorah.  I  think the book is a masterpiece, not only for its very good recipes but also because of the arrangement of the page and the photos which give you a picture you can replicate, if you choose.

Each page has a blurb about the recipe, a photo, a list of ingredients in a box on a darker background.  It is divided up into sections based on what kind of food is being discusses, meat, poultry, desserts, etc.  I like this because I plan  my own menus and have a hard time finding what I want in books that share menu after menu with all the courses lined up.  I see the value of these books if you want it basically set out for you but it does not work well for me.

We limit the ingredients we use on Passover and this book makes it easy to work with what you have in the kitchen.

One of the meat recipes I made is this Balsamic French Roast and who don't usually enjoy roast had two servings.  The dressing was scrumptious and the meat was tender and easy to chew.


Balsamic French Roast from “A Taste of Pesach” (adapted)


Ingredients:

1 5-pound French roast (also known as square-cut roast, thick London broil or brick roast)
2 tablespoons oil
1 very large onion, sliced

Dressing:
1 cup brown sugar
1 cup ketchup
1 cup water
3⁄4 cup balsamic vinegar
2 teaspoons apricot jam

Method:


Preheat oven to 350 degrees. 

Combine oil and onions in a roasting pan. 

Place in oven and bake for 25 minutes until onions are soft. 

Remove from oven. 

(Use an immersion blender (or regular blender) to combine dressing ingredients in a small bowl.

 Place meat in roasting pan over onions. 

Pour dressing over roast and cover pan tightly. 

Bake for 3 hours. 

Eat and enjoy.

Linked to:  Real Food Recipe Round Up           Treasure Box Tuesday    Hearth and Soul Hop     Tuesday’s Table            Fat Tuesday           

Comments

  1. The roast looks really tender and succulent. I bet this would work great in slow cooker too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the dressing you have used on the roast! What a lovely combination of flavours it has. Thank you for sharing this with us at the Hearth and Soul Hop, Chaya!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Your comments are a part of making my day bright and shiny. I value your advice, criticism and viewpoints.

Popular posts from this blog

Thai Chicken San Choy Bau

Brussels Sprouts - Power Food - Re-post

Carrot Cake _ Power Food - repost