Turnip, Apple and Potato Soup


My husband described this soup well.  He said that it had a peculiar taste and I thought, I was going to have to throw out the soup.  Then, he said that despite this, he liked it and had two plates and is having the leftover soup for lunch, today.

The blend of the turnip, apple and potato was unusual and I added a little salt and all of a sudden, everything blended nicely.  I suggest a teaspoon of salt.

I don't cook with salt for health reasons and those who want a more tasty dish, add the amount, they choose.  It works well.  I do like salt and compared to years ago, I use very little now.  There are dishes, like this soup or plainish pasta or potatoes that need the salt.

Turnip, Apple and Potato Soup



Ingredients:



2 tablespoons olive oil

2 parsnips, peeled and cubed

2 large potatoes, peeled and chopped
2 large apples, peeled and chopped
1 large onion, chopped
bunch of fresh herbs 
Black Pepper to taste
3 cups of vegetable broth
2/3 cup sour cream and additional sour cream to swirl on top of each bowl of soup



Method:


In a large pot, add oil and onions and cook, mixing, for 10 minutes.


Add parsnips, potato, and apple and cook for 10 minutes.


Add broth and bring to a boil then reduce heat to a simmer.


Add herbs and partially cover, allowing to cook for about 30 minutes until all vegetables are fork tender.


Using an immersion blender, mix all the ingredients until smooth or slightly lumpy.

Add sour cream and blend for a few more seconds/


If the soup needs thinning, add water.  Swirl sour cream on top of soup.

Comments

  1. Dear Chaya, This is definitely a healthy soup and sounds real good. xo Catherine

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's beautiful! I've never put apples with veggies in a soup... I'm curious to try it. I am overrun with parsnips right now... CSA Problems! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. turnip, that's one I haven't seen in soup before. I'm glad it didn't have to be thrown out, looks wonderful. Thanks for sharing on Weekend Bites

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks delicious thanks for sharing with Hearth and soul blog hop and pinning.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your Turnip, Apple and Potato Soup sounds delicious, Chaya. I love the combination of vegetables you used. I agree, a little salt can really elevate a dish to new heights! Thank you for sharing with us at the Hearth and Soul hop.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Your comments are a part of making my day bright and shiny. I value your advice, criticism and viewpoints.

Popular posts from this blog

Thai Chicken San Choy Bau

Brussels Sprouts - Power Food - Re-post

Carrot Cake _ Power Food - repost