Chicken Stir Fry - Food and Wine


I know that I have posted a number of stir fries (or  frys) recently but the seasoning in this one was different and we liked it.  I also added extra cashews.  Could not resist them after they were toasted.  Instead of asparagus, I used a combination of extra veggies, I had on hand, green beans, red bell pepper, broccoli and carrots.  

We don't use oyster sauce so I added more soy sauce to take its place.  The same applies to fish sauce.  You can find the original recipe here.


Chicken Stir Fry



1/2 cup raw cashews

1 1/2 pounds skinless, boneless chicken breasts, cut into 1 1/2-inch pieces
2 tablespoons soy sauce
2 tablespoons oil
1/2 cup  low-sodium vegetable broth
2 cups vegetables of choice
1 tablespoon soy sauce
1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/2 cup chopped basil
1/4 cup chopped chives
Freshly ground black pepper

Preheat the oven to 350°. 


Spread the cashews in a ceramic pie plate and place in microwave.  Turn on for about 45 seconds.  I knew they were done when I opened the door and the fragrance wafted out.



In a medium bowl, toss the chicken with 1 tablespoon of the soy sauce. 

In a  large skillet, heat the oil until shimmering. 

Add the chicken in an even layer and cook over high heat, turning once, until browned and just cooked throughout, about 4 minutes. 

Using a slotted spoon, transfer the chicken to a clean bowl.
Pour the broth into the skillet and bring to a simmer, scraping up any browned bits. 

Add the vegetables, cover and cook over moderate heat for, about 3 minutes. 

Using a slotted spoon, transfer the veggies to the bowl along with the chicken.
Add the remaining 1 tablespoon of soy sauce to the wok along with the lime juice and cayenne pepper. 

Simmer until the sauce is reduced to 1/3 cup, about 2 minutes. 

Return the chicken pieces and veggies to the skillet and toss to heat through. 

Remove  from the heat and stir in the cashews, basil and chives. Season the stir-fry with black pepper and serve right away.

Comments

  1. I never tire of a good stir-fry Chaya! I love the addition of extra cashews in yours, oh so yummy, I'm sure.

    Thanks for sharing, Chaya...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful stir fry, Chaya. Come cook for us; I need dinner!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How yummy, I love cashews in my stir-frys. Thanks for linking up to Sweet and Savoury Sunday, stop by and link up again. Have a great day!! Laura@Baking in Pyjamas

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Your comments are a part of making my day bright and shiny. I value your advice, criticism and viewpoints.

Popular posts from this blog

Thai Chicken San Choy Bau

Brussels Sprouts - Power Food - Re-post

Carrot Cake _ Power Food - repost